Part 28

They get married in Hawaii.

If anyone asks, Beatrice doesn't know how it happens, either. For once, Ava is the more organised one between them, conspiring with one of the resort's guest relations officers to get an officiant, a license, and a cake. Beatrice doesn't even know when she finds the time between taking surfing lessons and consuming enough shave ice that Beatrice is surprised she's not frozen, herself.

On the day, Beatrice wears her waistcoat - with a new white shirt this time - and Ava shops for a lovely, flowing white sundress that draws the breath right from Beatrice's lungs. It happens on the beach in the late afternoon, barefoot and surrounded by just a handful of people.

Yikes. Camila is really going to kill her now.

They can't quite say their own vows in front of other people, given all the secrets they hold. Their officiant, Kai, walks them through the ceremony, their hands clasped, and then they share a quick kiss, pronounced wife and wife.

Who would have thought?

Beatrice certainly never would have.

After, there's cake, and there's the signing of their marriage certificate. Ava reads the names on said certificate, her mouth dropping open slightly when she learns Beatrice's given name. She looks to her, now, eyes soft and surprised.

"Oh, I never would have guessed that," Ava says, and then never mentions it again. Beatrice imagined there would be more discussion; possibly even more commentary, but Ava surprises her the way she always has.

For now, Ava just reaches for her, holding onto her and not letting go. "You'll always be Bea to me," she adds after a moment, and that's really that about that.

Honestly, Beatrice is just trying to wrap her head around what's just happened in her own life. In their lives. It's just nothing she could ever have imagined happening, here with Ava. Without her parents.

Gosh, they'd probably keel over if they ever knew.

"I'm really trying not to take the look of disbelief on your face too personally," Ava says, looking amused. "It really happened. I promise it's all real."

Beatrice will have to admit that there's a lingering part of her that truly believes that this is all some elaborate dream. Any second now, she's going to wake up back underground, the Arc silent behind her, and Ava just gone again. It's fuelled some of her nightmares, only helped by having Ava in her arms, but things are going to change when they go back.

She might wake up.

"Bea?" Ava says, getting her attention. They're in the resort's main restaurant, their half-eaten cake on the table in front of them, and their meals waiting to be finished. "Are you not happy?"

Beatrice leans over to kiss her cheek. "I'm the happiest I've ever been, Ava," she says. "I'm sorry. I'm just worried."

"About what?"

"What the world will do to me for deigning to be this happy."

Ava runs a hand over Beatrice's hair. "That's bleak, babe," she says.

She raises her eyebrows. "Oh? Is that what we're calling me now?"

"I'm trying it out," Ava says, hand coming to rest on the back of Beatrice's neck. "How does it feel? What about honey? Sweetheart?"

"I love you, but maybe not," she says. "Stick with Bea. I like that one."

"Actually, you know what, I'm going to call you my wife every chance I get," she says. "Why waste a golden opportunity while we're here?"