Part 23

They end up missing the sightseeing tour.

It's entirely their own fault, getting such little sleep the night before, but also waking late and immediately wanting to be touching each other again. Beatrice doesn't think - and definitely hopes - there will be a day she'll tire of this. Of Ava. In her arms, mouth right by her ear, breathlessly crying her name as Beatrice carries her higher and higher.

They miss breakfast, and then lunch, Beatrice getting up only to retrieve the food delivery Ava insists on. She didn't think Ava was right about waiting until they'd covered a lot of the globe already before finally doing this, but she gets it now, because she can't see them leaving their rental for quite some time now.

Ava just grins when Beatrice mentions it. "I'm a terrible influence, aren't I?"

"You're definitely something."

Ava pops a chip in her mouth, thinking it over. "I think the burning desire will fade slightly," she says. "I'm pretty sure I'll be able to exist in public without desperately wanting to rip off your clothes."

Beatrice raises her eyebrows.

"Okay, maybe not," Ava concedes with a laugh. "I've wanted to do that for weeks, already. Even right now, what's the point of food when I can rather be eating - "

"Ava!"

She grins like the cat that caught the canary. "You can't even be scandalised by that," she says. "You literally had your mouth on my - "

"Ava!"

She laughs now, loud and free, and Beatrice loves her. Loves her with every part of her heart, body and soul. Loves her in that disastrous way that will probably have her making a fool of herself in the not too distant future.

At dinner, apparently. When they can finally convince themselves to get out of bed and actually put on real clothes. Beatrice takes Ava for some Turkish food, mainly because Ava is such a fan of baklava. The night itself is lovely, if a little chilly, the restaurant right near the water, and Ava keeps teasing her about the love-drunk look on her face.

"I can't actually talk," Ava says. "I'm pretty sure I look at you the exact same way."

Admittedly, Beatrice is aware that her own declarations have gotten bigger but further away. Without hearing Ava say the words back, she's been a little worried of overwhelming her. Which is silly, of course, because Ava isn't easily overwhelmed, but the last thing Beatrice wants is to do anything that will make Ava question her choice to be here with Beatrice. Now that she's gained her like this, there is a constant worry that Beatrice will lose her, and it is terrifying.

She definitely won't survive it.

"Hey," Ava says, getting her attention. "Where did you go?"

Beatrice clears her throat. "I'm here," she says, taking a sip of her apple tea. "I'm right here."

"Good." She leans forward. "There's actually something I wanted to talk to you about."

Beatrice braces herself.

"Do you think you could see yourself here?"

It's so unexpected that Beatrice frowns. "Excuse me?"

"Here. In Cape Town. Do you think you could see yourself here?"

Beatrice can't figure out where she's going with this. "Like, forever?"

"I saw you," Ava says. "When Kirsten and Thando were talking about their lives at university. Your eyes, you were so interested. It's like you wanted it as well, some sense of purpose again, but in a low stakes way. And you said that you'd wanted to - " she stops, looking a bit nervous. "When you told me you wanted to be a doctor before, it didn't sound like it was a desire that faded."

Beatrice leans back, blinking repeatedly. "Oh."

"Was I not supposed to pick up on that?"

"I don't know."

Ava waits patiently, dipping some baked bread into some hummus.

Beatrice has spent so much of her life denying her own desires. Bodily, yes, but also mentally. This entire trip has been a crucial lesson in what it means to listen to her own body. She's still learning, it seems. "If I were ever to go to school, why would it be here?"

"Why not?" Ava counters immediately.

"What would you do?"

"Be your Sugar Mama."

Beatrice laughs, shaking her head at her antics. "You'd actually be okay with that? Spending years in some foreign place just for me to go to school?"

"I think, by now, we both know we would do just about anything for each other."

"But this?"

"If it's what you want," Ava says. "Is it?"

Beatrice audibly swallows. "Am I supposed to do this before or after we try to save the world?"

"Just answer the question, Bea."

She leans back, hands in her lap, and really thinks about it. She's always enjoyed learning new things. Reading is basically her lifeblood. She's trained in numerous fighting styles and she has a healthy knowledge of field medicine. It's something she leaned towards, their designated medic in battle, but does she actually want a career out of it?

Eventually, Beatrice says, "Maybe," quietly enough that only Ava could hear her.

She smiles in return. "Okay," she says. "You should apply. Just see what happens. It can be an option for you. They start in January, anyway, so there's time."

"To save the world, you mean."

"When you become a doctor, you'll be saving the world one person at a time, Bea."

Beatrice doesn't even try to come up with a response.