Part 12

Ava calls her a nerd the moment they arrive in Alexandria.

Cairo wasn't quite what Beatrice was expecting, even though she was aware the entire world has shifted towards more modern times. It's just that it left her conflicted to be able to stand right in front of the gorgeous, magnificent Sphinx and see the city right there. She could hear it, all so close, and it's left her -

"Oh my God," Ava says, looping their arms together and leading them towards the left. "Did they really cut it out of one block of stone?"

"An engineering marvel, huh?"

Ava looks up to the pointed top of the obelisk. Its shape is like the Washington Monument, Beatrice knows, but this obelisk is indeed cut out of a single block of stone. They've tended to avoid any kind of museum, rather going into tombs or exploring outdoor monuments, and now they're scheduled to visit what's left of the Alexandria Library.

Beatrice has been fascinated by it all, and Ava has mostly raved about the food and the chance to smoke the hookah every night. She's tried every flavour they've managed to get their hands on, the two of them acting in a certain way in public, and a completely other way in private. It's their little secret, exchanging little amused looks throughout the day. Ava seems to enjoy it in a way that Beatrice knows won't last, which is why Alexandria is their last stop in Egypt before they head East.

Not that she thinks it'll be any better, because Beatrice is very concerned with Ava's safety - and keeping her hidden. It'll just be different.

"Has it been worth it?" Ava asks, glancing back at her. "Coming here?"

"Just for the picture to show Yasmine," Beatrice says, but she can't help her own smile. "But, yeah, it's been worth it. I'm glad we came."

"Can finally check it off our list," Ava says. "Make sure you send her the correct picture, though, otherwise you're going to have a hundred questions to answer."

Beatrice takes out her phone and navigates through to her most recent pictures. Of the sights, yes, but also of herself, of Ava, and of them both. They don't even seem real to her, perhaps even photoshopped, but Beatrice was there. Ava is here, doing a little twirl in front of her, almost tripping over the uneven ground, and Beatrice is so stupid in love with her.

Today, they're just a pair of girls, touring this land just like a thousand other people. Ava isn't the Halo Bearer, and Beatrice isn't devout. They're just two young people enjoying life, and Beatrice hasn't felt so free.

"Which one should I send?" Beatrice asks Ava, turning her phone's screen towards her.

Ava takes the phone from her, walking backwards. Beatrice keeps her hands outstretched, ready to reach out for her if she happens to lose her footing. "I like this one," she says. "You look pretty, the waves and breakers at your back."

Beatrice flushes at the words.

"But this one is my favourite," Ava declares. "I'm making it your Lock Screen."

Beatrice lets her do whatever she wants, truly, just accepting that this is now her life and she's choosing to enjoy every second of it.

"We look hot in this one," Ava adds, stopping her retreat and getting close to Beatrice. "You also look like you want to devour me in this one."

Beatrice's eyes widen. "Ava."

"I think, whenever you finally accept that I do actually want you as much as you want me, you're going to be even more dangerous than you are now."

"Excuse me?"

Ava hands her phone back. "Didn't you say something about a library?" she deflects, and Beatrice allows it, steering them back from the obelisk before she actually spontaneously combusts.

In terms of the library, this isn't the norm. People aren't just allowed to see documents, but there is a certain perk to knowing Yasmine.

It's probably something of note that Ava doesn't complain even once when Beatrice descends on all the history and archives. She's always been a fan of learning things, getting her hands on ancient writings and every interpretation. She can feel Ava's eyes on her the entire time, which is maybe why she asks the question she does.

Beatrice waits until they're back on the boat, cruising back down The Nile towards Cairo, their flight already scheduled for Hong Kong.

Their cabin on the boat has two beds, each against a wall, but Ava's bunk has been their glorified dresser, carrying their bags and housing their laundry. Instead, the two of them squish together on Beatrice's bunk, arms wrapped around each other behind closed doors.

It's where they are, pressed so close together, when Beatrice breathes deeply and asks, "What did you mean?"

Ava jerks a little, perhaps almost asleep. "What?"

"What you said, earlier, about what I would be like if I ever accepted you wanted me too - what did you mean?"

"Oh."

Beatrice waits, almost bracing herself.

"I enjoy teasing you," Ava admits. "It's probably my favourite thing to do: touching you, kissing you, all the innuendo in the world. You blush, or you get the best deer in headlights look I've ever seen, and I love it." She kisses Beatrice's cheek now, smiling knowingly. "But if ever you stop and turn the tables on me, it's game over. Because you're badass and cute, sure, but I just know you'll be insanely dangerous and sexy when you actually figure out how to flirt."

Beatrice is quite sure her face has pulled into the expression Ava has just described, which is proven when Ava just laughs, settling against her once more.

"My super cute, badass, ninja nun," Ava says, sighing dreamily. "How did I get so lucky?"

Beatrice closes her eyes, drawing Ava closer. "What if that never happens?" she whispers.

"It will," Ava says easily. "I won't stop trying to convince you until it does."

"Convince me?"

"I definitely want you," Ava assures her, left hand slipping under Beatrice's t-shirt to touch the skin of her abdomen, fingertips trailing over the lines of her muscles. "You're going to have to find some way to accept that."

Beatrice's breath catches. "What happens if I do?"

"We'll make the entire world jealous of us."

"They already are," Beatrice says, automatic, because she counts herself pretty lucky already. She's alive, and Ava's alive, and they're together, intent on travelling the world and experiencing all they can.

"Hmm." Ava shifts slightly, getting closer, rolling slightly until she's nearly basically draped over Beatrice's body. "I'm going to miss the bread," she murmurs. "Egypt has good bread. Especially the rolls that have those little black seeds on them. I could eat those every day."

Beatrice makes a mental note to buy some before they leave. Ava has been a little obsessed with the Nigella seed rolls, not quite a fan of sesame seeds, complaining about how they get stuck in her teeth. Though, of all the mundane tasks she's had to learn to do herself, Ava does enjoy brushing her teeth. And brushing her hair.

It's really the little things.

Like now, when Ava presses her nose into Beatrice's neck, sighing softly. "Thank you, Bea," she whispers.

"For what?"

"Being here," she says. "Being you."

Beatrice never imagined she would get to experience anything like this. Even now, she can barely believe it's happening. Which probably leans into Ava's theory. She must wear the deer in the headlights look more often than not.

"There really is nowhere else in the Universe I would rather be," Beatrice murmurs, finally responding, but Ava's gentle puffs of breath tell her she's already asleep.

Authors note : how are you guys liking the book so far !?