29- Remember The Memories

I’ll never not be your girl.
-
Lady Antebellum, Heart of the World

“Where are we going?” I asked once more even though I knew that an answer wasn’t going to come. I’d asked a billion times before and I’d gotten nothing, so this wouldn’t be any different, but I just had to try. Hanna had gotten me all dressed up for this night, and for once, I didn’t complain about the expensive bracelet, I didn’t even complain about the heals, which is surely saying something.

“We’re going to swim with a great white shark.” Evan told me teasingly.

I rolled my eyes playfully at him. “You’re so funny.”

“I think so.” He chirped softly before squeezing my hand tighter. “You seem nervous, Princess.”

Did I? I hadn’t noticed that I looked nervous. Sure, I was deadly nervous about tonight, but I didn’t think I looked it. “Yeah.” I croaked honestly. “I am.”

“Why?” He asked curiously, keeping his eyes on the road with an occasional glance in my direction.

“Well you leave in a few days and this is- it’s like our last goodbye.” I mumbled quietly, looking out the window.

Evan brought the back of my hand up to his lips and pressed a soft kiss there. “Don’t worry about it, baby.” He told me. “Nine months is nothing, I promise.”

“I know.” I said with a small smile. “I just don’t want to say goodbye.”

“I know, Princess.” He mumbled as we drove. “I know it sucks, but I love you too damn much to let you go.”

“Ditto.” I giggled as we came to a stop in a deserted parking lot. I excitedly looked around to see where we were, but it was already pretty dark. The sun was setting and the clouds covered the sky, it was obvious that it was going to rain soon. When I was about to turn to Evan to ask where we were, a sign caught my eye-

Harriett Fairgrounds

“Oh gosh.” I gasped when I realized where we were. “Holy crap.”

“Stupid, right?” Evan laughed awkwardly. “I figured that we could end the summer where we started it.”

I continued to stare wide-eyed at the Harriett Fairgrounds sign, the place that we’d met at the fair back on June 6th. “Stupid? You’re stupid for thinking this is stupid, this is amazing, Evan.” I said with a smile.

“Good.” He breathed, hopping out of the truck. For his sake, I let him open my door for me- it would be the last time he’d have the chance in a long time.

We didn’t stray far from the truck, having his camera with us, we couldn’t go too far without worrying about making it back in time to keep it safe from the rain that was going to pour down on us at any moment. Evan left one of the truck doors open while he blasted the stereo so that we could dance to what was playing- right now, it was Wonderwall by Oasis. Evan isn’t into the oldies music, so he chooses very generic, famous music to play, which I find adorable.

“You wore heals.” Evan murmured as we slow danced in the grass beside the truck. The fairgrounds were empty now since it’s the end of the summer. The rides, the games, the drink stands, they were all gone and packed away until next year’s summer, but I could still see the little dent in the grass where that darn mud puddle was where I plunged into my doom… that just so happened to be the best thing that ever happened to me.

“Yeah, I did.” I agreed, holding him close to me as we slowly swayed in the darkness to the cute lyrics of Wonderwall. “Hanna talked me into it, it’s kind of a big night.”