17- Remember The Truck

“Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.”
- Aristotle

“Please?”

“No.”

“Pretty, pretty please?” I wailed.

“Maggie, no.” Evan laughed.

I gave him my best pouty face, but he still wasn’t breaking. “Please let me drive, Evan?” I asked with an innocent smile.

He sighed and pressed his lips to mine. “Princess, if you keep pouting like that, we’re never going to get there.” He whispered with another soft kiss to my lips.

“Does that mean you’ll let me drive the truck?” I attempted with a huge grin in my last attempt to drive the truck to the field. I don’t know why we were going to a field, and neither did Evan, we just decided to go. But he won’t let me drive. I’ve never driven his truck, and I really wanted to.

“No.” He smiled at me, opening the passenger door for me.

I grumbled a defeat and slid into the passenger seat before he shut the door behind me and made his way into the beloved driver’s seat.

“Sorry, Princess, but Jason would kill me if something happened to this truck.” He apologized on our way down the street.

“I’m a good driver.” I defended.

He smiled at me and grasped my hand in his, holding them together in the center console like always. “I never said that you weren’t.”

“Then why-“ I stopped talking and decided to just forget about it. “Okay, fine. It’s not that important, I suppose.”

Evan lifted my hand up to his lips and placed a soft kiss on the back of my hand. “I love you.” He told me cheekily.

“Yeah, I love you too.” I replied with a grin.

It didn’t take us long to get to find a nice field. We go to a different one every time, mostly because we have no idea how to find the fields a second time because coming along a field is usually a result of us getting ourselves lost.

“I like this. This is nice.” I smiled as we walked into the field, hand in hand with Evan.

“This is nice.” He agreed, softly kissing my cheek.

When we were deep enough into the field, I stopped walking, pulling Evan to a stop with me and sat down in the tall grass. It wasn’t incredibly tall, but it was obviously wild and un-groomed, yet still very soft to touch.

The grass prickled my bare legs, since I was only wearing a pair of shorts and a tank top with sneakers today, making most of my skin defenseless against the bristle of the grass, but I liked it like that. I liked to feel the grass under me, to feel Evan behind me as we sat- my back to his front with his legs on either side of me and his arms wrapped around my waist. I liked to feel the light wind blowing against my skin, to feel the surroundings. It was a reminder that this was real, that I was here with him. With Evan, and only Evan. It was a reminder that we were alone here, that the world stopped working while we were here, in this field alone with the prickly grass and calming wind. The blinding sun was blurred by a thin layer of soft, wispy clouds, moving busily to the east, with the wind.

We sat in silence for the longest time. Silent, just absorbing the surroundings. The prickly grass, the playful bugs, the beating Florida sun, the birds chirping, the busy clouds. Each other. We were absorbing each other in the most innocent meaning of the phrase.

“You smell good.” Evan mumbled through the silence with his nose buried in my hair.

“It’s the same strawberry shampoo that I always use.” I giggled softly.