Ch 24 Getting Answers Part 2

I want to warn you guys this is a long chapter, but it has so much vital information; so sorry to all the readers who like their chapters to be short.

Aiden POV

"The letter says : 

Dear Alpha Henry Carter,

I am writing this on August 15, 1881. If you are reading this, this means that I am dead, and I never got the chance to tell you my suspicions that 1 of the members from the "Black Star Pack" Jacob Smith is actually alive.

First, I want to apologize for not telling you my suspicions sooner. I will explain to you what happened so you can understand why I made the decisions that I made, whether right or wrong. I guess the best way to understand my thinking is to start from the beginning. The night my life turned upside down was October 17, 1880. That night, I snuck out of my room and traveled to a bar where many rogues hang out. I know all pack members are forbidden to go to a place where we know rogues frequent due to the danger, but I heard that there are a lot of pretty girls there, so I wanted to take a risk. The risk was worth it to me because I liked the thrill and knew how to protect myself since I was one of your top hunters till you kicked me out of that post for disobeying you for the 5th time.

I was schmoozing with some girls when a fight broke out. I left the bar before the fight got worse. As I was leaving the bar, I passed a person who was going into the bar. I got a good look at him, and he had a tattoo on his neck that looked eerily familiar. Traveling home, I knew that I had seen this tattoo before. It bothered me for days that I couldn't put my finger on it, so I researched till I finally discovered that it is the tattoo all the members of the "Black Star Pack" wear. I didn't know what to think because I knew we had killed everyone in that pack a few years ago. Since that was back when I was still a hunter, I was on the frontlines during that war and saw with my own eyes that everyone died. I should have told you who I saw, but I knew this was my last chance to break the rule, or I would be kicked out of the pack, possibly becoming a rogue if no other pack accepted me. I don't blame you – you gave me chance after chance to follow the rules, even stripping me of my role as a hunter to teach me a lesson, but I still didn't listen. After the 15th time of  breaking a rule, you had enough and wanted me gone, but my parents begged you to reconsider. Fortunately, you did, but with the caveat that if I break one more rule, I will be dismissed from the pack immediately with no chance of appeal.

Obviously, I couldn't tell you what I saw without implicating myself. If it was only me that would be affected, I probably would have said something, but I know my parents. If I was kicked out, they would withdraw from the pack, too, to be with me. I know they are safer here than out in the wild, so I made the decision; I will only tell you what I discovered if I have concrete evidence. My thought process here was, why would I risk everything when there is a high possibility that I could have been mistaken? But boy was I right; I would soon find out.

I researched a lot to know if I was right or if my mind was playing tricks on me. I know everyone thought, including you, that I changed my behavior- no longer partying or breaking the rules because of your ultimatum. You guys were even impressed that most of my time was spent reading a book or an article in the library or in my room. I felt proud when you reinstated my position as a hunter. At the same time, I felt guilty because the truth is,  I didn't change because of your ultimatum; I changed  because I was looking for answers which were more dangerous than I thought.

They say ignorance is bliss, and that saying couldn't be even more accurate. If I just stayed at home that night like I was supposed to, I would have never found out about Jacob being alive, but now that I know the truth, I realize that you can't trust anybody.

If you go to the attic, you will find a file I made. I didn't leave it in my room because I didn't want anyone to discover it in my possession. During my research, I found the pics of all the members of the Black Star Pack who were alive before we bombed their entire city. I found a picture of a guy named Jacob Smith that looked similar to the guy I saw at the bar. However, the guy in the photo had long blond hair with blue eyes. The guy I saw in person had facial features that looked very similar, but he had short black hair with green eyes. I think it is possible that Jacob Smith could've changed his appearance. I know the lab technician already collected remains from the city to make sure every person from that pack was accounted for, and that's how it was confirmed that everyone died, even this Jacob guy. However, it doesn't hurt to check one more  time. The reason I started volunteering at the lab was to gain access.  It took months to complete this secretly, but every picture matched the remains of each member in that pack except one. The supposed remains of Jacob Smith actually belonged to Cliff Johnson. I remember how Cliff Johnson was part of our pack, died ten years ago, and was cremated. That means that one of the lab technicians took Cliff's remains and pretended that it was Jacob's remains. I am now convinced that I saw Jacob Smith the night I snuck out to the bar.

Maybe I should have stopped there and told you what I found, but you know I always liked a thrill, so I am going to continue my investigation. I have come up with so many different routes I could take to find out the truth because I have a feeling there is more to this story than Jacob just being alive. I have many questions, such as "Are there other people in our pack that are conspiring with Jacob. If so, why would they help him? Does Jacob have a plan to retaliate? If so, what is Jacob's Plan?" and so much more. I want to do everything I can to find these answers. However, I plan to stop and give you all my evidence once it gets too dangerous.

Unfortunately, if you are reading this now, I obviously was too late, so please tell my parents this:

I love you both, and I know that you both love me, but you need to let me go and live your life to the fullest. I know you will never replace me but have ten more kids if you desire. Remember, I made this decision for myself despite knowing there was a possibility I could die, and I don't regret it. I have never felt this alive or like I am actually doing something good. So please, you need to move on for my sake.

Sincerely,

Christopher Moretti