Calling

**5 Months Later**

"OMG- No way? They're publishing it? YOUR STORY?!" Conan squeals, his voice tinny over the phone,

"Yes, way! It's getting published late June next year, all that has to be done is some ~mind you, intense~ editing!" I squeal back, peering out the window,

"I'm so happy! I can't wait to read your work. I loved the manuscript that you sent me~ was that the same story?"

"Yeah! That exact one! I can't believe you remember that!"

"Of course I do! It was so good! Honestly, when I was reading those parts of the story that you send me I was like... so invested in the story that I think I was a bit obsessed. I was disappointed  when you didn't send me another chapter!" I can hear the chatter of his backstage surroundings behind him. It's like a curtain of white noise.

"So, when do you get back from tour?" I ask, hoping to not sound so keen, despite months of calling and texting and facetiming back and fourth leaving me missing him.

"About another month. Ashley is coming over to stay at my house for the week before I come back to get my house back in order and she'll stay for the whole week after I get back too. She's keen to meet you in person though... maybe you could catch up at some point? Might as well! Besides, I'm super keen to see you again, so when I get back the both of you will have to deal with seeing each other a lot if you wanna see me haha!"

"I'd love to see Ash! I've loved our calls and Mario Kart sessions on Zoom, but I'd much rather her watch me whip your butt in person!" I tease, and beside me, Layla jabs me in the ribs cooing and pouting suggestively at me.

"Hah! Bet! I'm sure before I get back you'll have girl things to talk about!"

"What do you mean?!"

"Oh... I don't know... periods? Boys?"

"I'm just as likely to talk to you about my love life and uterus 'stability' than I am Ash! But I get what you mean... maybe I will let her know about some... stuff that's come up. She good for advice?"

"Oh yeah! Unlike me, she's ACTUALLY dated someone!" Conan says exasperatedly. 

"Did you get the selfie I sent you?!"

"Definitely! Sorry I didn't reply, I was meeting with Max about some more publicity stuff when I got it and I was like: 'I'm gonna be calling her in like- 2 hours, it can wait until AFTER your meeting with a flipping award-winning song-writer who's won 5 Grammy's and won songwriter of the year 11 times!'. I saw it and it made me smile though. I properly opened it when I got home and went to call you. Puppy saw the photo too-"

"Mmm, what did Puppy think? He approves?"

"Oh of course- he licked the screen and I was like: 'Me too Puppy, me too.'"

"Haha! Aww, you have to give Puppy a massive pat for me," Layla passes me a cup of boba with a thick straw, and I take it, slurping away quietly as Conan laughs loudly in the background while talking about the photo, then asks me,

"So what's the outfit for? A date? You see a hot guy?"

"No date. Not seeing a hot guy- unless you count yourself right now?"

"Aww! How are you not a massive magnet for the very few amazing guys out there? Like, girl-"

"Heh, thanks, Conan. I'm used to it by now. Anyway, I'm actually catching up with Layla today, and I better spend some time with her-"

"Naw I'm fine- you two cuties keep chatting! Y/N has a crush on a hot guy that she has to tell you about!" Layla shouts so that Conan hears over the line. I give Lay eyes that somewhat resemble the daggers that I'm tempted to shove into her heart and twist- only blunter. 

I hear Conan's breathing hitch, but then he lets out a chuckle,

"Oooh," Conan jokes as Layla turns back to focus on her sketch, "I like this Layla friend of yours! So- who's the lucky fellow? To whom should I address my death threats? To whom should my envy be dedicated?" 

"Oh, nobody, it's all fine. Lay was just joking!" I lie, shifting in my seat,

"Aww y/n, you can tell me, I won't judge!" He whines,

"No! I don't have a crush on him. Just... don't worry about it. It's too early to judge the situation or to even really know what me and him are anyway! Just... focus on yourself!" my tone comes out snappy and harsh, and my heart seems to thud painfully.

Conan goes quiet, his breathing staggered. I've surprised him... maybe even hurt him a little.

"Y/n I..."

"Conan I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it like that! I'm so sorry, I just ah... I miss you heaps and I'm a bit overdefensive about him. It's not that I don't want you involved I just... don't want to ruin anything. I'm the type of person who takes beautiful things and loves them with all my heart but ruin them because I cling too tight and I suffocate or shatter them and I don't want to suffocate him. I know it sounds stupid but..."

"I get it y/n. I'm not upset," he comforts, his voice soothing and sweet like honey, "Hey, when I'm back, you wanna hang out that night? Ash will be over but I'm sure she won't mind you hogging me for one night!"

"I'd love that. Hey, can we go for a night drive? I'd love to drive around the city for a bit with you."

"Yeah! That sounds fun! I love night drives," he says, "they're so..."

"Randomnly peaceful and calming?" I offer,

"Yeah. See you then?"

"See you then Conan."

Then, after hesitation from both of us, I hang up, then burst into a messy pile of a sobbing wreck in Layla's embrace.

Make Us Play Forever? Conan Gray x Readerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें