ch.57 I never lose

“I love you, Harry” I whispered across his lips.

But he couldn’t hear me. He will never hear me again.

I shook my head, trying to push away the tears so that I could see him clearly. And yet, I didn’t want to see him at all. I couldn’t look at him lying there like that.

“HARRY!” I screamed over and over and over again. A police officer grabbed me by my waist and yanked me away from Harry’s life-less body.

“I LOVE YOU, HARRY!” I cried, as if that would make him come back.

“SHUT UP!” I heard Louis shout.

I turned to the sound of his voice.

“YOU! WHY CAN’T YOU JUST LEAVE US ALONE?!”

“I never lose!” he spat coldly. “I never lose” he shook his head in hysterical determination.

I swung a fist at his face, but the officer pulled me away.

My chest burst into a thousand pieces and I reached on the ground to pick up the pieces, but another officer hoisted me up on his back and pulled me away.

“NO! NO! NO!” I screamed and cried tears of poison.

They put me in the police car and I saw Danny. He was leaning with his fists against the

But I wasn’t afraid of what he would do or say. I wasn’t afraid of Danny anymore.

Danny turned to look at me and a sliver of pain and guilt seeped into his eyes. I could taste it, but he couldn’t he never will. He can’t feel human emotion. He’s a rock. A goddamn stubborn rock.

The sirens sounded around us and flashes of red and blue lights swirled around me like a rainbow from hell.

I just stood there, unable to fight the cruel, cruel world anymore. Unable to find its gold. It took my gold, my beautiful golden knight in leather armor.

And they took Dally and Jay. Harry wasn’t supposed to make it. He wasn’t. And that’s exactly why he had to make it. He had to!

It was only a matter of time before they took Harry, too.

I fell to my knees and closed my eyes.

“Hey! Get over here! She fainted” a distant voice shouted.

Another one called for the ambulance.

*****

I heard screams of young mothers with newborns, older men in wheel chairs, and the occasional scream of pain or terror of accepting death.

I wasn’t nearly ready to accept anything.

Blood and bandages and tears.

I opened and closed my eyes.

I saw Harry lying on a hospital bed.

I got up quickly to run to him, but Danny pulled me back.

“Angela, you need to rest” he told me.

I scoffed.

The only thing I needed to do was get to Harry.

Suddenly, my head felt overwhelmingly dizzy and my stomach contracted a vile substance that tasted like blood.

I sat down and my eyes shut.

****

Rats scurried down the grimy hall. Smoke fumes slithered, filling the already intoxicating air with poisons.  Orange jumpsuits cried out against the black, bleak prison bars.