ch.29 I'll be

“Angela? Are you ok?” he asked with worry. His voice was deep and raspy, but unmistakably honest and golden. And I knew. I knew it wasn’t birthday boy or his minions.

I threw off the covers and ran to the door.

Quickly, but carefully I rubbed away any signs of my tears. Harry would be even more suspicious and even more likely to do something rash and violent if he saw that I was crying.

The moment I opened the door, Harry took my face in his hands and looked into my eyes. I wanted to disappear inside him.

“Are you ok? What happened?” he asked urgently. Gently, he brushed away an on-coming tear. I wanted to tell him as much as I knew it wasn’t safe for him to know. He would go out into the streets right now and hunt Birthday boy and his pack down until dawn. He had said it himself weeks ago.

And Birthday boy had something planned. I knew he wouldn’t just threaten for the sake of threatening me; he would hurt Harry and he would do it faster than the flutter of a butterfly’s wings.

“Angela, if you don’t tell me, I’m going to assume the worst” he warned as he searched my face for an answer.

He held me so close to him that his green marble-like eyes looked magnified by ten-fold. If only I could just hide inside him.   

I looked down, trying to gather myself before I gave some form of an answer. I had to stay close enough to the truth so that he would believe me.

“Becky” I mumbled.

“What? What about her?” Harry asked quickly, wanting to know why I was hurt by what Becky had done or said.

He stroked my cheek gently, trying to relax and calm me so that I could explain myself.

“We had a fight” I answered honestly.

He watched my face for a moment. Then he pulled me into his chest delicately and reassuringly. I coiled my arms around his neck, wishing I had his strength so that I could keep him hostage in my arms. Forever.

“It’s ok, baby” he whispered gently as he patted my back.

I nodded slowly against his neck, knowing it was far from true.

“Danny and the boys crashed downstairs” Harry explained quietly as he gently scooped me up in his arms and laid me down on my bed.

He pulled the covers over me and tucked me while he sat on the edge of the bed.

I tugged at his arm and he wrapped it around my waist. He rubbed my back soothingly and I felt every ounce of pain and fear and frustration melt away. Melt away for another day.

I moved the covers, giving him space to get in, but he hesitated.

“Baby, the boys are downstairs. Danny’s downstairs” he explained softly.

I looked up at him with a broken hopelessness. I needed him. I needed him to just hold me tonight. I needed him to calm my jagged breathing and be my air. I needed him more than air.

I knew he wanted to lay beside me and comfort me until the next century, but he also wanted to be loyal and honest to Danny.

But I won this time.

I scooted over as Harry took off his jacket and got in next to me.

I rested my head against his chest, listening to the rise and fall of his breath, which was much more comforting than the life-less feathers in my pillow.

“Harry, Becky’s not going to talk to me anymore. She’s never going to be my friend again” I spoke quietly against his chest.  

I’ll be your friend” he offered himself and he kissed my cheek. “I’ll be your doctor” he kissed my chest. “I’ll be your soldier” and he kissed my lips.

“Just tell me Angela, and I’ll be whatever you want me to be” he presented himself whole-heartedly.

My heart ached at the sincerity and honesty of his words. I almost wanted  to cry even more. I couldn’t believe he was real. He was a real man, one that held up to his word and his touch. He was a real knight. My knight in leather armor.

“Please be mine” I asked softly as I looked up from his chest, up to his eyes.

 He nodded and wrapped his arms around me tightly.

“I’ve always been yours” he whispered against my ear. His warm breath caressed my neck and spine, gluing together the broken pieces within me.

****

Someone knocked on the door impatiently.

Harry and I both jumped.

“Ye-yes?” I called.

Harry zipped up his jacket and went to the farthest edge of the room. 

Someone slammed the door open.

“Angie, where are the goddamn hotdogs?!” Niall demanded as he sifted his hands through his disheveled blonde hair and teetered slightly. He was completely wasted, but that didn’t stop his appetite.

“Oh, um they should be in the fridge” I answered cautiously.

Niall turned to see Harry in the corner of the room, who sat quietly, staring down at his hands.

“Haz, you missed out, man. We totally had that place upsss-ide down” Niall laughed. He held onto the door frame carefully.

“Yeah, I remember. But you probably won’t” Harry joked ever so slightly as he stood up to help Niall back to his cozy spot- half on the living room floor and the couch.