ch.35 XYZ

*****

A few voices sounded from outside.

Harry nearly jumped off and stood up quickly.

I tossed him his shirt jacket and he gave me my jeans.

The lock on the front door rustled as Danny slid the key in.

Harry and I re-dressed at lightening speed.

I prayed that the key was stuck as Danny shoved it in forcefully.

Harry sifted his hands through his curls and stood against the banister at the farthest edge of the room.

Danny wriggled the key in again.

I ran to the kitchen and started chopping veggies aimlessly.

The door clicked open.

“I was not that drunk” Danny laughed as he pulled Niall into a half-Nelson.

“Yeah, ya were” Niall laughed as he mimicked drunken Danny from last night.

“Hell, I hadn’t had a drink since God knows when, so I deserved last night” Danny pointed accusingly at Niall.

Tony laughed and Zayn adjusted a loose strand of hair from his quiff.

Niall jumped onto the couch and they all turned their attention to me and Harry.

“Harry? What’s up, man?” Danny asked slightly suspiciously.

“Hey, Danny” Harry greeted carefully.

Danny punched him in the shoulder playfully.

Harry took it as if it were punishment.

“Y’alright Haz?” Danny asked as he patted Harry’s shoulder more softly.

“You look a little… stiff” Niall commented cautiously. He glanced at me momentarily. I looked away quickly, busying myself with a vat of boiling water and pasta.

“And hungry” Tony added as he stepped closer and watched Harry.

“Yeah, man, you look like you’ve just been caught trying to use up all my hair gel” Zayn hissed. His batted his dark lashes teasingly.

“I think he’s ok” I interrupted as frustration boiled over. They were interrogated him like he was some kind of foreign alien. I was afraid they would find the truth if they asked one more question.

All four of them turned to look at me. They looked like they’d forgotten I was even there. All of them expect Niall.

“I thought I heard someone in the kitchen” Tony teased. “Glad you find your proper place in the house” he spat. I knew he was only joking, but Tony’s jokes were tasteless, like his attitude.

I saw Harry’s fists tighten in his pockets.

“What do you want? A jack-ass sandwich?” I retorted just as coldly as I threw a loaf of bread at his head.

He caught it. Just in time.

Niall burst into laughter.

Even Harry smiled slightly.

Zayn patted Tony’s tensed up shoulders. “Nice one, man” he shook his head carefully so that his hair was still perfectly in place.

“Angela” Danny spoke in his steady, authoritative voice.

Tony glared at me as he took a seat on the couch, next to Niall.

I stirred the pasta slowly.

When I looked up, all the boys- even Harry- propped themselves on the couch.  But Niall was watching me carefully.

“I hope you’re making alfredo pasta” he grinned slightly.

I felt my eyes widen slightly as I remembered Louis’ words. 

I nodded.

Niall glanced at Harry momentarily, then back at me, before returning his attention to the game.

******

Danny sat at the head of the table. As usual. And Harry sat opposite me. Looking up at me every so often and smiling the slightest bit to help keep me calm.

Harry watched me as he took a bite out of his pasta.

Danny and Tony were deep into some friendly argument about the Giants’ game.

Niall was in Heaven, along with his third plate of pasta.

And Zayn, well Zayn was with Zayn.

“I’ll get the parmesan” I mumbled.

Danny nodded thoughtlessly.

“You won’t reach the shelf” Harry told me as he stood up and followed me to the kitchen.

“I told you” Harry whispered in my ear as he leaned behind me and reached for the parmesan.

He lowered his hand against my waist and took my wrist to spin me around to face him.

I rested my hands against his chest and pushed back playfully every time he got closer.

He lowered his lips to neck as he wrapped his arms around me, holding me to him.

“It’s only been 69 minutes and I’m already suffering with drawl” he purred against my lips.

 I looked up into his green marbles, watching the silver flames sway in the green forest.

 Harry kissed up my neck until he reached my lips.

After a bit, I brushed him off teasingly and went to the opposite side of the counter.

Harry bent down slightly, like a wild animal watching its prey, waiting for the perfect moment to…

The kitchen door creaked open and Niall walked in.

Harry leaned casually against the counter and played with the pocket of his jacket.

Quickly, I turned my attention back to the pasta and sifted it in the colander.

Niall walked toward Harry.

“XYZ” he said in a hushed voice. He looked down at Harry’s pants.

“What?” Harry asked.

“Make sure the window’s closed before you open” he warned casually. He patted Harry’ s shoulder.

Harry stared at him with wide eyes, then he shook his head to clear his thoughts.

I felt my heart kick up a beat as Niall turned to look at me and smiled jokingly.

“Wait” Harry spoke up as he tried to calm himself.

“I’m not going to tell him” Niall answered the question in both our minds.

He glanced from me to Harry again.

My breathing subsided momentarily.

“But he’s gonna find out, so I suggest you come clean or go home” Niall advised Harry with another pat on the back.

******