ch.26 Morning to knight

“Hey, Angie, you uh-- left your bra at my place last night. I just thought I’d drop it off” she explained with a slight wink as she patted her bag.

Harry looked at me a moment, then he took a long sip of water.

Danny pretended he hadn’t heard the word “bra” and my name in the same sentence. She took the seat next to me. Danny pulled out another plate and set it in front of her.

Then Becky looked at Harry carefully and a sly smirk slithered on her heavily made-up face.

“Hi Harry,” she greeted in her extra-friendly way. She did that when she had theories and I knew she was making- and quite convinced- of a few right now.

She watched my lips carefully, knowing that my nervous tick was biting down on my bottom lip and breathing like that kid hiding in the closet while the killer searches for her. I could practically hear Becky prying into my mind with her long red nails- trying to get answers out of me.

“Well, now that I’ve got a good audience, I guess it’s time to begin,” Danny declared slowly. A proud grin plastered over his normally sulky expression.

I could feel Becky watching me and Harry as we exchanged glances.

“I couldn’t believe it when I saw it with my own eyes. But I did see it,” he shook his head quickly.

I looked down at my hands and clasped them in my lap.

Then, as if having grown tired from his brooding, Danny grinned widely- grinned like he had never been happier about anything in his life until this moment. His dark brown eyes glowed with warmth for the first time in a long time.

My heart fluttered with hope; surely, he wouldn’t do anything to Harry with Becky right here as a witness.

“I got a promotion! I didn’t and I couldn’t believe it at first, but my boss liked my designs and asked me to work with his men on the blueprint,” Danny explained quickly, as if it would continue to be real if he said it again and again.

Harry exhaled and shook his head slowly.

I closed my eyes and opened, realizing that Harry was still alive and that Danny was happy and I was ok. But Becky, Becky was the only one I was still worried about. Would she say something about me faking the sleep over last night? Does she know about me and Harry?

The questions swam around my mind like piranhas, ready to bite my next moment of happiness.

“That’s great, Danny,” Harry smiled, but he wasn’t completely at peace. I could almost smell the guilt that burned deep in his gut.

“That’s amazing, Danny” I smiled and I meant it. It was a miracle. I was so sure he knew. He acted like he knew- staring me and Harry like we were criminals.

“Coolio” Becky smirked as she twirled a piece of gum with his index finger.

And with that, we all began to eat. Harry had at least three eggs and a couple pieces of toast; it was almost like he was consuming his own words- the words he had left unspoken, left to rot in his stomach for yet another day.

Becky watched me and Harry carefully, trying to pull whatever evidence she could to prove whatever theory she had.

“Angie, do you think you could show me to your medicine cabinet” she asked extra-politely.

I nodded slowly.

“Hey, easy on the meds Beck,” Danny warned.

Becky nodded.