Epilogue

After the ceremony, there was a celebration of life in the gardens

After the ceremony, there was a celebration of life in the gardens. Elías' portrait was staged at the front of it on an easel. Mr. Henrik offered on the spot, speed commissions for the price of mere coppers. He promised to donate the proceeds to a fundraiser Ser Elías had always supported– The late Queen's school for girls in Áire.

Our new recruit was somewhere, I made a point to find him, though it took some time, and when I finally did, I was shocked to see–

"Ser Nikolai?" I gasped.

"Aye, Your Highness," he returned. He bowed deeply to me.

"My, you look good in bronze," I said. "You're our newest Knight?" I asked.

"Aye," he said.

"But how?"

"I was recommended," he replied. 

"By who?" I asked.

"By me," Willough said. He came around the back of Nikolai and sank a heavy hand onto his collar. "And I'm not sorry for it, though; in time, you'll learn to resent me again, I hope."

Ser Nikolai shook his head. "I am so humbled by the idea that I am even here, I can hardly think, let alone resent you, Ser."

"Daniel is fine," Willough said. "Danny, even, if you dare."

"I'm very happy to see you," I said.

"You are?" he asked.

"Yes." I nodded. "A happy addition, I think. Well done, Willough. Well done."

"Uh-huh. Except, what he doesn't realize is that this is more a punishment than anything," my knight replied.

Nikolai perked at that. "What?"

"You'll learn in time, Nik," he said.

"Oh!" I chimed. "Nik. How cute. I like that."

He frowned. "Thanks, I hate it, Your Highness," Nik said.

Willough shook his head. "It'll grow on you," he said. "Much like a weed or fungus. Anyway. Welcome to the team." He trotted off.

After a brief pause, Nik said, "I hear you're properly engaged now, and to your Duke. I'm happy for you, you know?"

"I have a friend I want you to meet," I said. "Let me see if she is here." I searched the party.

"If it's all the same, could I meet her another time?" he asked. "I'm nervous as Hell even being here, and Ser Willoughby's threat is–"

"Hardly a threat," I muttered. "He's just messing with you. Though I do hear things get grim at after-party."

"There's a party after this?" he asked.

"It never stops," I said. "The Queensguard is known to be quite wild."

"Great. Now I'm wondering why I accepted this," he said.