Chapter Twelve

Willoughby snatched Askar by his sleeve and dragged him into the room, and shut the door, latching it

"Oh, fuck," he muttered under his breath.

Askar stared at me, baffled. He looked between the two of us and then settled back on me as he sheathed his sword. "I don't need to know," he said. "I'm sorry to interrupt."

He started to leave, but Willoughby tore him back, returning him to stand by me. "Interrupt what exactly? What do you think is happening here?" he asked.

Ask shrugged. "I'm not really sure."

"What do you mean you're not sure?" my knight asked.

I watched them back and forth.

"It looks like you're alone in a room with the Princess... Who is dressed as a knight?"

Then I cut in. "Well, that's not entirely untrue."

Willough shushed me. "You've got the wrong idea," he insisted.

It started to piece together. "Wait a second... Do you think I'm... Ew! With Ser Willoughby!" I hissed.

Ask gestured at the man's exposed torso.

"Well," I said. "Okay! I'll give you that. It does look bad. But that doesn't mean it is bad."

He crossed his arms. "I don't need a commentary, thanks. Please. Get back to whatever you were doing."

"You think!?" My stomach twisted at the thought. "He's married! And, like, so old!"

"Hey!" Willough chimed. "I'm hardly past forty, and don't pretend like you didn't look at me."

"I didn't look at you!" I cried

"You did when you were standing there as I got undressed!"

"When you thought I was Braxton?" I croaked.

"Braxton looks at me!" he said.

Ask knifed his hand in between us and made another attempt for the door.

"Not so fast," Willough said. "You're in this now."

"I want no part of this," the Duke replied. "I'm not into sharing. To each their own."

"Sharing!" I moaned. "Willoughby hit him!"

Ser Willoughby smacked the back of his head, and the Duke stood straighter shifting at him. They stared each other down.

"I just want to–" he tried. "Excuse me."

"Your Grace!" My knight barred his exit. "This is not some weird sex act happening here. This is a disobedient princess and– Nope. No. God, no. That sounds just as bad. Let me try again.... I am not sleeping with Her Highness," he decided. "I'm... I'm fucking trying to determine why she's here!"