Chapter Forty

"Miss Eliza," Askar dared to address me, and, right in front of my father

I blushed, dangerously vibrant.

"Good evening, Your Grace," I said. My words felt breathy and slowed and painfully so.

"Your Majesty." He nodded to the King and even to my knights. "Sers."

I realized one of his arms had been wrapped around his back when he unhooked it to present me with a single flower—a rose.

I lost a gleeful noise, once again a foolish girl bemused by His Grace.

"For me?" I wondered.

The corner of his grin bent further. "A straggler, I think," he said, though we both knew that was a lie. The petals were bright and happy and nothing like the others that had faded and withered with the weeks gone by.

"You're so very thoughtful," I said.

"I am blessed. The star of my thoughts is very pleasant and invokes such things in me."

"Your Highness," Lord Beck interrupted us to rudely take his bow. "Pardon my disruption. I was unaware we were to have a wedding tonight," he joked.

"Never say never," my father said.

"Excuse me?" he asked.

The King shuffled him toward the castle. "Enjoy the feast. You'll find refreshments by the orchestra."

Krist was clearly offended by the response, but he said nothing in return beyond, "Thank you, Your Majesty," before he was gone.

He left with a practiced smile, and as soon as he met the dance floor, he plucked a flute of champagne off of a servant's tray and started to talk to the man who'd held it.

More people came in, and Askar gave me a rueful look. "Before I go," he said. He took a meaningful pause. "Thank you. For thinking of me when you did. For saying what you did. The reception of your message put to rest the worries I had regarding the Hunt and your departure from it."

I wet my lips, watching his. He found mine, and I hated that I could not kiss him.

"I meant it," I said. "Though it took me some time to understand the importance of such things."

The Duke glanced at the King and our knights and then sort of chuckled with his, "My apologies, sir."

"I'm not offended," Dad replied. "But those in line behind you might be. Perhaps you two might find a better venue in dancing?"

"But I have to greet everyone," I said.

"Oh, yes, I forget." He nodded. "Unless, of course, a Duke were to ask you to dance, then I could handle the door my own. I would have Ole Elí here. He likes strangers."