Chapter Forty-One

My heels ticked along the floor as we wandered the finite freedom that my Sword had granted us

My heels ticked along the floor as we wandered the finite freedom that my Sword had granted us. Askar held my hand, and I was happy for the fact. I swept my thumb over his as much as I could.

"I am sorry about Ser Willoughby," I told him as we rounded the corner. I tried to speak quietly, though I didn't think that we were followed. Luckily, Willough had given us the longest hall.

"I don't mind him," Askar said. "I've had some time alone with your knight, and he's an interesting man."

"A fact," I nodded. "Look. About the Hunt..."

"I kind of wonder if I should have partaken. I'm certain I'd have won. Truth be told, Krist hadn't even seen the pheasant until I pointed it out to him."

"Ha! No," I disagreed. "I like that you did not hunt."

"Is that so? And why is that?" he asked. "Did you not wish to dance with me?"

"A funny consideration, seeing as I danced immediately with you tonight. And because... I just like who you are," I said. "And I want you to feel welcomed in my home because you are welcomed.... Also, I really like birds."

"Thank you," he said. "I did get that impression. Thus far, your family has greeted me with open arms. Your father went as far as to say he liked me, and even if he says that to everyone, I wear it as a badge of honor."

"He does really like you," I confessed. "It's certainly not every day that he insists upon someone's arrival here."

"I really like him."

"I cannot express how important that is to me, or how good it feels to hear... Or how badly I feel in return because your mother was not as happy to receive me."

"My mother will warm to you," he said. "She knows I am here. She knows why I am here. As I said, she is simply careful. I am her only child."

"It must be hard," I said. "Is she lonely when you are gone so long?"

"The castle is often empty, yes, but she travels. She sees her sister; she has friends in Blythe. She is a woman of many occupations and skills. Though, I suspect she should be very happy to redirect her attention should the duchy require her for something else."

"Something else?" I asked.

He flashed his teeth defeatedly. "I was referring to children. If that is something you've considered since our last discussion of it?"

"Oh, of course," I said. I thought about Krist and his want for kids. "How many do you require?" I asked instead.

He thought about it. "I need a son," he said. "But how long that takes, or if we have more, I want to decide together."

"Like..." There was a buzzing in my lips and in my cheeks, dreaming of it, but then all I could hear was:

"We've talked about our wedding. What dress I'll wear, how many kids we want... I–"