Chapter Twenty-Nine

"You humble me, my lord," I managed

"You humble me, my lord," I managed. "Welcome to my celebration. May Fate help you find your perfect match or solidify the one you've made. There are refreshments near the orchestra. Please help yourself. You are a guest in my home."

"You are as kind as you are fair, Your Highness," the lord said to me.

He shared a polite nod with my father and bowed to my mother, who had joined our welcome wagon near the door.

"Do you say that to everyone?" she asked when he was gone.

Without answering her, I offered a greeting to the second lord as he approached.

"Your Majesties," he said. His bow was even more defined and respectful than the last. "Your Highness. How beautiful you look in blue."

"You humble me, my lord," I said. "Welcome to my celebration. May Fate help you find your perfect match or solidify the one you've made. There are refreshments near the orchestra. Please help yourself. You are a guest in my home."

"Uh, yes. Thank you." He paused, then nodded, and then left.

"Eliza," my father sang.

My mother frowned. "That man was interested in you?"

"Was he?" I asked, anticipating the next.

"Your Majesty. Your Majesty. Your Royal Highness," the person said.

"You humble me, my lord," I started.

"Eliza," my mother said.

"Welcome to my celebration. May Fate help you find your perfect match or solidify the one you've made. There are refreshments near the orchestra. Please help yourself. You are a guest in my home."

She stood closer, speaking low. "Perhaps if you stopped suggesting these men find better matches than you, someone might ask you to dance?"

"Svana," my father said.

I opened my mouth to greet the next person in line, but the Queen interjected.

"Welcome to our home," she said. "Is Princess Eliza not beautiful tonight?"

"Mother!"

"Rosie," my dad said.

"There are refreshments by the orchestra," I added. "Go that way."

Mama huffed. When there was a space between the guests, she turned to me. "Is this over Willoughby?" she demanded to know.

"What are you talking about?" I moaned.

"Svana, please," the King said. "Love of my life, leave her be." Then he stepped ahead of us to meet the coming gentleman.

My mother pulled me to the side. "You should let these men court you," she said.