Chapter Fourteen

"There's an old war mate of mine at Post Locke," Willough said

"There's an old war mate of mine at Post Locke," Willough said. He rode next to me the whole way to the city, leaving me no chance to speak to the Duke, at least alone. "Wouldn't trust him normally, but we're limited on time, and that limits our resources."

"If you don't trust him, why leave me with him?" I whined.

"He owes me a favor," he said.

"A favor, oh, yes. That should keep him honest," I suggested. "Favors often do."

"It will," he replied. "He knows better than to cross me."

"You speak as if I should be wary," I played. "You're not exactly intimidating."

Ser Willoughby broke his brooding to smile up at me, cheerful as ever. It was eerie to see the shift. "Of course not," he said.

I turned away, hesitant, but made another attempt to steal Askar's attention from his knights. I offered the party my own joke this round, but it just fell flat and only Whiskers laughed. Willoughby offered another smile, which made me stop and wonder if it was all an act.

"Are you still mad at me?" I asked.

"Not at all," he said.

From behind him, the Duke smirked, and I felt dumb for the pity, but I knew it was higher brow than sharpening blades.

"It's funny because muffins don't talk," I explained.

"Aye," Fridrick agreed. "I think we understand the punch line, Your Highness."

"Whatever," I croaked, but that wasn't enough. "Because he looks at the other muffin, and then that muffin says, 'Ah! A talking muffin!' It's funny because they're both muffins."

"Aye, Eliza," Willoughby said.

I sighed as I had the entire way, on the road, during lunch, and then again when the arch that marked our arrival to the city came into view.

"Locke. The route to Keye," I read.

Whiskers was suddenly proud. "Met my wife in Keye," he said. "I'll be happy to see her face when we are home."

"You have a wife?" I cried. "But you tried to dance with me at the faire?"

Fridrick laughed. "Eyy, what do they say then? What happens at the Apple Faire stays at the Apple Faire?"

"Who says that?" I hissed. "That's rancid."

Askar grinned, waving the air. "Whiskey is a dog," he said. "He would try to dance with the Queen if she were around, but he'll always find his way home to the missus."

"Whiskey would have to answer to my father for that ask," I snipped.

"I've no doubt," the Duke replied. "And a horrible day that would be for him, I fear," he said. "I've seen His Majesty work a sword."