Chapter Forty-Seven

Willoughby took the week off with his wife

Willoughby took the week off with his wife. I didn't know where he went or if he left or stayed home, or if he'd followed the Duke and Lord Beck back to the Riverlands to finish the job he'd started on a different set of stairs. Ser Elías had kept me company for everything. A few gowns that I had ordered were delivered on Monday. I was not allowed to go anywhere alone, and after days of not discussing anything with my family– just ignoring the entire night– Friday was there, and I found myself in a familiar sort of trance. Amy fastened the back of my dress, and I watched her do it in the mirror.

"Are you sure we like this one better?" I finally asked after nearly an entire half-hour in it.

She shook her head. "If you're having second thoughts, we can switch," she told me, "But I think they're all beautiful options."

"Alright," I said. "It doesn't wash me out?"

"No, Your Highness."

"...Do you know if there's been any word from the Duke?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," she said. "You've no letters this week."

"And no flowers," I muttered. My stomach was in knots. "Do you think he'll come tonight?"

"I think he promised you he would, right?"

"Yes, but..." My breath was shaky. "What if he's changed his mind? What is Ser Willoughby beat him, what if–"

"What if Ser Willoughby beat him?" she snickered. "Where in the Heavens would that idea come from? Ser Willoughby wouldn't hurt a fly. He is the kindest, sweetest soul."

"Is he?" I asked.

"Yes. When I first started here, the cook told me about the time he tried to pet a swan. Then it attacked him, and he wasn't even mad about it."

"He tried to pet it?" I croaked. "I thought it just... launched itself at him. I didn't know he was an idiot!"

"An idiot, eh?" On synchronistic cue, my Sword's voice cut into the room, and I snapped to it.

"Willough!" I breathed.

"Aye, Princess." His eyes were heavier than they were normally, and he looked exhausted. "I bid you're well?"

"Are you alright?" I asked. "I haven't seen you since... Hi."

"I'm grand," he stated. "And yourself?"

"I'm... I'm... struggling to pick a dress," I told him. "Where did you go?"

"I had to take some time off," he said.

"Amy," I said. "Leave us." I turned back. "On purpose? Or did my mother make you?"

"No, Your Highness, I asked."

Amy finished the big ribbony bow in the back and checked my curls in my reflection for their evenness before she complied with my request. When she was gone, Willoughby shut the door, and I stiffened.