Chapter Thirty-Seven

Father stuck around me for the evening

Father stuck around me for the evening. At least he popped in and out of whatever it was I was doing, but he kept checking in on me in a way that made me feel like I was a child with a fever. When it was lights out, he was still lurking in my doorway, leaning against the frame while Amy brushed my hair.

"I'm fine," I told him, but that'd been so convincing that he'd sent for Ser Willoughby to tell me an awful joke he'd told the others that morning.

It was as simple as it was stupid. He said, "Would you like to hear my impression of a pheasant?" and when I said no, he said, "A shame, I thought you'd be game."

Then he explained that I was supposed to say yes and that I'd made him reorder the words to make it make sense.

It was a painful sort of caring, but finally, Father worked up the courage to ask what he'd been dancing around all night.

"I could refuse the prize for winning the Hunt?" he suggested. "And I could send Lord Beck back to the Riverlands."

"Yes," I said. "But then you'd only convince him that I had a play in his misfortune, and who knows how that would present itself later through word of mouth. Beck could say I was sour or unladylike."

"So what if he did?" Willough asked.

I sighed. "I... He won the largest bird. Right?"

"Yes," my knight replied. "And the record with some poor fat creature that was two point seven pounds."

My father added, "The second largest bird off that had been short by over half a pound. There wasn't even a contest, really."

"Then there's your answer," I told them. "No. Keep on par because we must appear impartial to these things."

In truth, I was just too humiliated by the idea of that I could somehow signal to Lord Beck that he had any sway over my mood, so refusing to play into his hand was the best move strategically.

"I am proud of you, Rose," Dad said. "You're bigger than I am."

"Alright," I moaned. "A strange compliment, but I'll take it, I guess."

"Let Lord Beck have his night," Willoughby said. "Because I agree; how would it look if we did not?"

I felt confident in my decision, but more so when my knight enforced it. He was a good enforcer, I thought. I wondered if my mother had told him about Will.

"The worst thing that might happen to me would be if someone were to publicly question my integrity, and then with that... You know how it is, the arrival of so many related questions concerning the Marquis and myself. Yes?"

"Nothing to question," Willough said. "He's the one who's done the wrong."

"Though, if the Ball is Friday, will he and the Duke even have time to make it there and back?" I asked.