Enchanted

"Princess!"

Y/N turned around to see some old family... friends, as her mother would call them.

"Oh my! How grown you've become." The older man smiled and reached for her hand as his wife stood beside him with a tired smile.

"Yes," she chuckled. "It has been a few years since I've been to a gathering like this. And I have to say, what a momentous occasion it is." She looked down the hall desperately searching for someone to use as an escape. She saw two palace guards talking to each other and smiled. "I'll have to excuse myself. I think my escorts are here." She dipped her head into a bow of respect and walked away from the couple. Once she was close enough she heard the female guard clear her throat as they both turned to face her.

"Your Highness."

Y/N smiled kindly at the bronze-skinned girl and turned to the taller man beside her. "Will you escort me to the main hall, please? I don't think I can stand another conversation with these people." She chuckled to fill the moment of silence before he nodded and walked beside her.

She felt a bit uneasy as she let him lead the way. She made an effort to know every guard from her home yet these two had managed to slip past her notice. "Are you new?"

"Why would you ask that?" His voice was rough like rock salt as if he was getting over a sore throat.

"It's just that, I typically know all of our staff back at the castle... I didn't mean any offense."

The guard nodded stiffly and turned the corner, walking into the main hall. He stood still, waiting for her to walk to the rest of the royal family but she continued to stay beside him.

Y/N felt his confusion and said, "I don't feel like going in yet... Do you mind me waiting here?"

He looked down at her, his mind racing as if trying to solve a puzzle. "You're the Princess, you shouldn't be asking."

"Well, I know, but you also have a job and you have orders from someone in a higher position. If you need to be somewhere else then you can leave." Y/N smiled kindly.

It was as if her smile never left her face and her thoughtfulness was what she expected people to receive from her.

The hall fell into a hushed mummer as Alina walked into the room. General Kirigan led her to the stage and introduced her. He pulled the shadows of the room tighter and stepped back to let Alina take center stage. She clasped her hands together and pulled them apart, a ball of light floating between them. She brought the light to one hand and separated it into two orbs. She continued to push them towards the center of the room so the light reflected off the chandelier.

The people in the hall gasped and were awed at the miracle before them. Alina made the light fade and everyone slowly fell to their knees before her. Y/N placed a hand over her heart and bowed her head in prayer to the Saints, but she didn't get on her knees. She was still the princess and she was told 'bow to no one'.

Kaz cleared his throat and forced his eyes back on Alina as she made her way to the back of the room. 'The mission,' he reminded himself, internally scolding himself for staring at the princess during the light show. Scolding himself for noticing the way the light reflected in her eyes and the jewels on her dress and around her neck. 'The mission.'

Y/N looked up at him and saw a distant yet determined look in his eyes. "You must have other things to do." She stepped forward and turned to face him. "I'll let you get back to your work, but I extend my gratitude to you for waiting with me." She spun on her heel and pulled her shoulders back as she walked forward to her mother's side. She froze in her steps and turned back towards him. "I didn't ask for your name," she said once she stood in front of him again.