Water

Y/N struggled to loosen the grip the Dime Lion had on her arms as he led her to the docks. She kicked and pulled as he held her right at the edge, leaning her over the water. She could never explain why the water scared her so much, she has never had a bad experience with it. Maybe it was just the thought of how it's never ending and you don't know what swims beneath the surface. Of course there was a difference between the canal and the ocean, she knew that, but all water bleeds into each other one way or another. So her fear of the water prevented her from ever learning how to swim, a skill she never really thought she'd need until now.

The sound of gunshots rang from behind her right before she was shoved into the murky oblivion. A loud scream slipped past her lips as the water began to pull her under. As she waved her arms around in a frantic attempt at pulling herself up, panic started to settle in her chest. Wrapping around her lungs like a thick rope, pulling tighter and tighter with each movement. Just as she came to terms that she wouldn't be able to get herself back above the surface and she felt her eyelids become heavy, she saw Matthias jump into the water and swim towards her. His arms wrapped around her waist and he started to swim back up.

Two tanned arms reached out to pull her up and lay her down on the rough wood boards beneath them. Inej called out to Nina and she rushed over to kneel beside them.

Once she was able to get the water out of her lungs they wrapped her in a tight hug. "I'm sorry." Y/N's throat felt raw as she whispered. She noticed everyone was gathered around her with matching looks of worry across their faces. Her eyes flickered over Matthias' wet frame, "I'm really sorry." He shook his head, "You have no reason to be sorry." She nodded but looked down to hide her guilt. "Let's get you back to the Slat." The girls helped her to her feet and walked with her back home. The guys following close behind, with Kaz behind them.

Guilt setteled in his stomach as he watched his girl shiver in the cool wind. He couldn't save her. For so many reasons, but he couldn't save her. How was he supposed to keep her safe if he couldn't even save her from drowning. He had his own grudge with the water, and no matter what he couldn't bring himself to jump in. Coward. He was a coward.

~

Kaz sat at his desk trying to get some paperwork done, but he was staring at the same sheet for the last half hour. He sighed and ran a hand down his face when a knock at his door was heard. "Come in." Y/N pushed the door open slowly and closed it behind her. Dressed in her night clothes, she walked over to the seat designated for her in front of his desk after grabbing the blanket that was folded at the foot of his bed. Wordlessly she sat down and covered herself with the blanket.

She gave Kaz a small smile before she leaned her head to the side with her eyes closed. "I'm okay." Her voice was barely above a whisper, but it was enough to settle the guilt in his stomach. Enough to let him know that she understood and it was okay.