Silent Understanding

"Why can't we just have a happy ending?" Y/N spoke quietly, her voice thick with emotion as she tried to hold back her tears.

She never thought she'd get this emotional over a death, but she should've known. Matthias has grown to be a brother, she trusted him with everything. And he protected her the best he could. So this shook her.

When she saw Nina with Inej, Matthias' head on her lap, she stopped in her tracks. One loud sob ripped its way through her throat as she fell to her knees. Everyone was supposed to make it. Quickly, she placed her hand over her mouth, trying to quiet her cries. After a few moments that felt like hours, she was able to get her breathing to a normal rate. She stood up and walked over to the three of them. "Let's take him. We have to get going, Kaz will be waiting for us."

Kaz placed a gloved hand on her shoulder, trying to give her the comfort she so desperately needed. He wanted to tell her the happy endings don't exist in Ketterdam. Monsters and barrel rats don't deserve them anyway. But he chose to stay silent and let her cry. No word would be able to comfort her right now, so none should be said. The only sounds that could be heard was the water splashing on the rocks, and Y/N's cries and sniffles.

"I'm sorry. I know you're thinking the happy endings don't exist. I'd be selfish to think so. I just... I don't know. It hurts."

He had nothing to say. Nothing that would make her feel better. He felt helpless in moments like these. Couldn't give her the comfort she needed, but he tried. And she tried to help him realize that that's what mattered to her. But it didn't make him feel any less helpless. So he stood beside her with his hand on her shoulder, watching the water lap up and splash at their shoes.

No words were needed. Just a silent understanding.