Chapter 12

A/N: Thank you all so much for reading and/or reviewing. It makes me happy to see you all enjoying the story. Also a huge thanks to Heather for making sure that the commas I so despise are added and in the correct place.

...................................................................

"I think I might know the answer to that," Emmett said in a quiet voice from the doorway.

I looked over at him and noticed a frown marring his normally happy face.

He walked and sat down on the other side of me before apologizing for Rose's behavior, and I shook my head as I told him not to. Rose was responsible for her actions, and she was allowed to think what she wanted.

"Rose heard it from Lauren," he told me.

"They're friends?" I asked, thinking that would certainly explain Rose's attitude toward me.

"Cousins, actually. Normally, Rosie can't stand her, but when Lauren heard you and Edward were dating, she went to Rose with all this drug addict nonsense."

"And she believed her?" Edward asked in an incredulous voice.

"I don't know Bella from Adam, so yes, I believed my cousin. I didn't see why she'd lie about that," Rose said from the doorway.

"Um, how about the fact that she's been wanting Edward since, like, fifth grade?" Alice said from behind her, a scowl on her face. "Even you had to have seen the pathetic attempts over the years."

"Honestly, that thought never even crossed my mind. Lauren and I have been getting along lately, and I was the one who asked her what she knew about Bella. I was just trying to look out for Edward," Rose said in a defensive voice.

I could see Alice getting more upset which was causing Emmett to get upset, and I just wanted to put all of it behind me.

"Just forget about it, okay? I'm not a drug addict, and it's fairly clear to everyone is this room that Lauren has a problem with me and is willing to say whatever she can about me," I told them.

"Look," Rose said. "I'm sorry. I've had a bad experience with someone dating a drug addict, and it put me on the defensive."

"Whatever," I said with a wave of my hand. "Let's just move on and forget about it."

Rose and Alice both nodded their heads, and they, along with Emmett, left the room, leaving Edward and I alone once more.

"I can't believe Lauren would do that," Edward hissed, and I let out a sigh.

"I can. Nothing about that girl would surprise me," I told him, reaching out and squeezing his hand before planting a kiss on his cheek.

"Let's go downstairs and relax," I suggested, wanting to put the ugliness of the night behind us for the moment.

I'd come over to have a good time, and I wasn't going to let Lauren Mallory and her lies ruin my fun anymore than it already had.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Edward asked, getting up from the bed, and I nodded. I was going to be fine especially once I gave Lauren a piece of my mind.

"Okay, sweet girl. Let's go enjoy the night," he said, leaning down and placing a long slow kiss on my lips before pulling away.

Unable to let him go just yet, I reached out and hooked my hands around his neck and pulled him back for another kiss. I pressed my lips to his, moaning when his tongue lightly stroked mine. I could so easily get lost in his kisses, and apparently I did because we were interrupted by a smirking Alice.