Chapter 9

A/N: Sorry that this is getting to you a bit late. I'm on vacation and let myself sleep in for a bit. A huge thank you to all of you who read and review as well. And a big shout out to my beta, Heather, for making sure I have commas where they're needed and just making sure my story doesn't suck.

..................................

The rest of the day went by fairly quickly, and I was glad to see that I had Angela, Ben, or Eric in at least one of my classes. That definitely made the day go by easier. Unfortunately, I had Mike and Jessica in a few of my classes as well, and Mike did his best to flirt with me, but I was having none of it.

By the time the day ended, Angela and I had exchanged phone numbers and had made plans to hang out on Saturday, and I was glad that my day had gone as well as it had.

I waved goodbye to her and Ben before climbing into the Jeep and driving home.

As soon as I was home, I pulled out my phone and gave Edward a call.

"So, my new friends are old friends of yours," I told him.

"Yeah? Who?"

"Angela Weber, Ben Cheney, and Eric something or other," I replied, and he let out a small laugh.

"Yorkie. Eric Yorkie," he said. "They're a great bunch, and we still hang out once in a while. At least you made friends with them and not, say, Jessica Stanley."

I wrinkled my nose at the girl's name.

"Yeah, she doesn't like me much. She warned me to stay away from her boyfriend, some annoying guy named Mike Newton."

"Mike's an asshole," Edward said, venom in his voice, and I was startled by it. "Stay away from him. He thinks he's God's gift to women and will do whatever he can to try and get you to sleep with him."

I let out a snort. "Yeah, well, you don't have to worry about that. He seems like a jerk."

We talked for half an hour before hanging up, and I sat down on my bed and opened up my literature book. I had a bit of reading to do, and after that, I calculus to tackle.

By the time Dad arrived home with dinner, I was frustrated, having stared at the equations in the book in front of me for at least five minutes, trying to make sense of them. Needless to say, I was glad for the reprieve and practically ran down the stairs in order to escape the hell that was calculus.

"How was your first day?" Dad asked once I was in the kitchen.

"Pretty good," I told him. "I made some friends who just happen to be friends with Edward."

"That's good to hear, although I wasn't too worried. You do tend to make friends easily."

As we ate our burgers at the kitchen table, I told him a bit more about school and my classes and how I was really hating math at the moment. Dad let out a chuckle but refused to help, only because he hated math just as much as I did.

"Oh, is it cool if I hang out with Angela this weekend?" I asked as I cleaned up our trash.

"You're seventeen, Bells, and responsible. Unless you plan on staying out all night or going to a party or something, I trust your judgement. All that I ask is that you let me know where you are and who you're with."

"In other words, you're fine with me hanging out with Angela," I teased with a grin.

"Yes, Bells. I'm fine with it."

..........................................

By the end of the week, the novelty that was me had started to wear off, something for which I was grateful. Although, Mike Newton still continued to annoy me. He seemed to take every opportunity he could find to talk to me, try to touch me, or to pathetically flirt with me. All he was succeeding in doing was pissing me off as well as Jessica. Well, she was pissed off at me, not him, despite the fact that I had done nothing to encourage him.