Rush

Asher

"Mom! Stop it." Aaliyah rolled her eyes. "God, you're so embarrassing."

Mom just laughed and carried on taking photos of me and my sister standing on the stairs together.

"It's not even my prom," Aaliyah complained. "It's Asher's."

Mom shrugged. "You both look cute."

I tugged my sister's hair and laughed when she spun to face me with an annoyed frown on her face.

"Okay. I'm done now." Mom pulled her phone to her chest, showing us that she meant it.

"Ugh, I'm going to my room." Aaliyah spun round and trudged up the stairs.

"See you, sis." I called up to her as she disappeared from view.

"Later, loser," she called back.

Chuckling, I jogged down the last couple of steps and adjusted the dark blue suit jacket I was wearing. Mom stood next to me and smoothed down the fabric across my shoulders. There was a soft smile on her face as she looked up at me.

These last couple of weeks had been a complete whirlwind for us. From moving in with my grandmother, to speaking with Oliver and Dad being released on bail. Mom had held it together amazingly well. Sitting us down and explaining what she knew. Telling us that she didn't want us to get too close to our hometown for fear of something happening to us.

She wasn't completely happy about me going back for the senior prom, but I explained to her that it was my senior year. Prom was just as important as finals. I assured her I would be safe. That nothing would happen to me. After all, Dad was on house arrest. He couldn't leave the confines of the house we grew up in.

And I had no intention of going back there.

Ever.

I knew we would have to go back for more of our stuff, but I was kind of hoping Mom would just sort it out for us.

I wasn't sure I could actually go back into that house.

Not after having to stay in there for weeks without being able to leave. Not after Dad had raised his fists to me in his office. Not after the cold and sterile atmosphere within those four walls.

Now, we were enveloped in warmth. Love. We were living in a house that was cosy, happy, comfortable.

I didn't ever want to live in a cold environment again.

Ever.

When Oliver and I get a place together in Florida, there will be nothing but love and laughter within our home. Happiness and pleasure.

Lots of pleasure.

Every night.

I sighed deeply.

Fuck.

It had been a long time.

Mom chuckled as I squirmed. "You're so handsome," she cooed as she cocked her head.

I smiled back at her, breathing deeply to calm my body down. It wouldn't be long before I saw Oliver. And I wasn't sure if I would be able to keep my hands to myself.

I needed to get him alone.

I mean, the bathrooms at the school should still be open for the prom tonight ... shouldn't they?

Mom nudged my arm, snapping my attention back to her. There was a soft look on her face. "I'm so proud of you," she muttered quietly.

I raised a brow as she shook her head.