Stranger

Oliver

The door banged open and we all practically ran out of the building.

A swarm of seniors rushed to get out of school.

The last day of finals was over.

Finally.

Jenson slung an arm around my shoulders as we jogged down the steps and started jostling me, singing off-key and laughing.

On the other side of me, Mason was shouting random words, his arms stretched over his head, almost like he was reaching for the warm sun that was shining high in the blue sky.

Finn was behind me, clapping my back and laughing.

Some of the other guys ran past us, hollering and hooting, shoving excitedly as they raced past.

Chloe and Amber skipped down the steps together and rushed across the walkway to the parking lot.

A few kids pushed past us, all smiling and giggling, shouting and singing.

Happy.

Relieved.

We had officially left school.

The only times we had to come back here was to collect our diplomas and to attend prom.

Stopping just as I reached the walkway, I felt Jenson squeeze my shoulder. Glancing at him out of the corner of my eye, I found he was wearing a grin brighter than the sun.

"We did it." He squeezed me again. "We fucking did it."

Mason nudged my other shoulder. "We're finally free, man!" He laughed. "No more school!" he hollered, causing a chorus of shouts and cheers from our classmates as they sauntered past us.

Jenson high-fived him. Of all my friends, Jenson was the happiest to be leaving school. He'd always hated going. Always tried to come with an excuse not to go. He even tried to convince his mom to homeschool him once, but she was having none of it.

It wasn't even like he did badly at school. He didn't. He always did enough to just get by. I was pretty sure he'd be in the running for valedictorian if he'd tried a bit harder.

I laughed along with the guys, feeling the contagious happy atmosphere seep into my body. It was the first time in a few months I'd actually felt ... happy. Relieved. Something other than despair.

Some of the tension that had built up in my system was slowly leaving my body. I rolled my shoulders.

Finn nudged my arm and peeked over my shoulder. "So, which one of us are you asking as your date to the prom?" He grinned cheekily at me while I rolled my eyes, a grin working its way across my lips.

"Me, obviously." Jenson pouted. "I'm the best looking one here."

Mason scoffed. "Fuck off." He held up his arm and flexed his impressive bicep. "He wants some of this." He winked at me.

Finn shoved him, then wiggled his brows in my direction. "I'm the obvious choice, right?"

I gave them all a withering look, but inside I was beaming.

The guys hadn't given me any shit about being gay. No insults. No comments. No hate.

Nothing.

They just ... treated like they always did.

No different.

Just ... the same.

I'd spent all these years worrying about what they would say ... only for them to say absolutely nothing at all.