Phone

Asher

Kyle zipped the laptop case closed and offered me a smile.

"I'll see you later in the week, Asher." He grabbed the case from his lap and stood up from the sofa. "Try to enjoy the rest you get before then because when I do come back, we'll get straight into studying and I won't be gentle." He chuckled at his own lame joke.

I tried to match my tutor's enthusiasm, smile back or even chat with him, but it was impossible.

Dad's words kept spinning around in my head, taunting, demanding.

You will not see Oliver Pierce.

Ever.

I was sure I could cope with not going back to Hatley High. I could probably deal with not being able to leave the house. Hell, I was pretty sure I'd be okay with no phone.

But to never see Oliver again?

Seriously?

Oliver was the whole reason I woke up in the mornings. The reason I breathed. The reason I wanted to get away from this house, this family, this life.

Oliver was ... my life.

My future.

My everything.

And now ...

I sighed and ran my hand along my short hair, tears burning my eyes as I closed them.

I felt Kyle place a hand gently on my shoulder. "If you're in that much pain, maybe you should take some of your medication. Your dad said that you were prescribed some pills for the pain and that you may need regular breaks to take them."

I shook my head, not sure what to say, but not trusting my voice to say anything anyway. He thought my tears were caused by pain. Well, they were. Just not the sort of pain that he was thinking.

"Why don't you go grab your medication and get some sleep?" I knew Kyle was trying to be nice, but I didn't want to hear it. His words weren't making me feel better at all. His pity was making me feel worse.

I nodded my head then heard him sigh as he stood up straight, giving up trying to help me.

"I'll see you later, Asher." I listened to Kyle's footsteps fade as he walked out of the living room, no doubt ready to pull out his phone to tell Dad about my tears.

I collapsed against the back of the sofa, all strength leaving me as I felt hot tears run down my cheeks for what seemed like the hundredth time today.

Since Dad left me in his office this morning, all I'd done was cry.

It hurt.

Everything hurt.

My head.

My chest.

My heart.

Especially my heart.

I wasn't allowed to see Oliver.

I sobbed into my chest, my legs sprawled out in front of me, my good arm draped across my lap. The tears dripped from my cheeks onto my shirt, but I felt too weak to wipe them.

I wanted to feel the pain they brought, the despair, the hopelessness. I wanted to immerse myself in the raw feelings coursing through my body, splitting my heart, squeezing my lungs, zapping my strength.

This ... couldn't be happening.

It couldn't.

Not again.