Chapter 31

(21 years old - Month later (May))

It was beautiful. It wasn't far from Alfea, - which was a bonus with my new job - it was out in the countryside and had a small, cozy feel. I leaned against the railing of the veranda, looking out onto the grassy lands that surrounded our new home. It was a small break that my back and shoulders were grateful for, moving was hard labour that never ended, even with the help of Kathleen and Sarah.

I was admiring the view when Saul's arms wrapped around my shoulders from behind in a sort of bear hug. I adjusted slightly, resting my hands on his and further leaning into his embrace.

"It's beautiful," I whispered, barely loud enough for his ears to hear.

"Just like you." He replied, planting a delicate kiss in my hair.

Even with the distant noises in the background, the whole area radiated a calm aura. I felt at peace here and happy, two things I thought never to find again when the war started.

"Promise me you'll never leave again." Saul whispered, his lips by my left ear.

I knew from experiences to never make promises about the future, especially in the era we grew up in; hopefully this new era will be different, but nonetheless I intended to stay as long as the universe would allow me. "Saul," I began. Turning in his embrace to face him, my hands resting at the nape of his neck. "I have 99 reasons to go, but my one reason to stay is you and what we're building here, and that is more than enough, will always be more than enough, for me to never leave."

He smiled softly before capturing my lips with his. It was a gentle and soft kiss, yet one that was also filled with love. After our short kiss we soon got back to work wanting to finish the move before nightfall.

-------------------------------------------------------

(21 years old - Few weeks later)

I was walking hand in hand with Saul across the Alfean lawn. The rain was coming down lightly which was slightly unusual for this time of year. There were a few specialists putting in extra hours of training further down on the lawn. Even with the light rain you could still hear the occasional chirp of the birds, but they didn't sound quite as cheerful, something was off about their small little chirps.

The students watched, the uneasiness palpable to anyone in the room. They weren't quite sure what made them feel this way, but the majority of them had a bad feeling about this current scene.

That's when I heard the loud 'snap' of a branch by a nearby bush. Before I could say anything about it to Saul, the creature jumped out from behind the bush. The moment I laid eyes on it a deep shiver ran through my body and all the surrounding sounds went dead silent. The black scorched frame of a burned one stood in front of us, the scattered bodies of its recent victims laid in the blood soaked grass behind it. Beside me Saul pulled out his sword and lunged at it to attack. I was even more shocked at his actions than by the creature itself. Saul never went solo. The burned one knocked him to the side and he went stumbling back along the grass. He regained his composure ready to attack again. I finally snapped out of my trance-like state and readied myself to help with the attack against the Burned One when something else caught my eye. To the right of the creature and out of reach was what caught me off guard the most. Rosalind stood there with her usual cynical smile on her face.

"Rosalind." I breathed out in disbelief. I stared, wide eyed, the colour draining from my face as she approached me.

"You didn't really believe you could get rid of me forever did you, Farah?" Her eyes glowed their usual light blue hue and the next minute I was desperate for air with my feet just mere inches from being able to reach the grassy floor.