Chapter 13

(17 years old - month later)

I walked up the steps to the platform as Bronte was coming down. She gave me a reassuring smile, though she still projected her proud aura. She had just won her match up good, but as an air fairy that was to be expected. I took a deep breath trying to get the nerves out of my system as Andreas made his way slowly to the platform. Rosalind had created this new 'rule' that terrified me. 'The fight's not over 'til blood is drawn'. It terrified me because I'd already spent too much time in the infirmary, I also really didn't want to harm Andreas - no matter how I felt about him. Rosalind also appeared in the corner of my vision. Of course she was going to watch us, it was the only one she actually cared about. I readied myself as Andreas strolled confidently around the perimeter of the platform. As he got closer I swung quickly trying to catch him off guard but he parried and deflected the advance like it was nothing. He swung and I blocked his attack but he quickly recovered and swung again before I had time to think. I ducked just barely avoiding his blade. The fight went back and forth for a while, I was mostly on the defensive end of things but I managed to get a few attacks in. I was just barely surviving. He kicked at me with his left leg and I went stumbling back, losing my grip on the sword and it clashing away from me as I fell to the ground. He smirked before turning and walking away. Initially I was shocked that he let me off so easily, at the same time I wasn't so surprised. It was likely that he still had feelings for me as more than a friend(ish). As I was about to give up I remembered what Saul had told me about a month back: 'Never let your guard down until you know you've won for sure'. I quickly stood and twisted the hand in which Andreas held his sword and just before it clattered to the ground I caught it in my hand and swung at his leg. The blood dripped off the sword. I felt guilty but at the same time it wasn't that bad of a cut.

"What the hell?" Andreas looked back at me holding the cut on his leg.

Before I could answer Rosalind stepped in; "Well done Farah." I could hear a small undertone of pride as she spoke. "You're both dismissed. Andreas, go get that cut cleaned up." She finished and looked at Andreas with a mix of disappointment and disgust.

"My god girl, where'd you learn to fight like that?" Bronte asked happily, though she already knew the answer.

"I might've had a bit to do with it" A voice popped into the conversation and I turned around to see Saul standing there with a smirk on his face. "About time someone taught Andreas a lesson" He laughed

"I'll catch you two later" Bronte smiled before wandering off.

"Thank you" I finally said

"It was all you - well mostly, I'd say 98% you" He smiled, "Well shall we?" He motioned to the school

I nodded and grabbed my bag.

-------------------------------------------------------

AN- Sadly a bit of a short one but this is my Holiday gift to y'all is another chapter so soon!

Happy holidays!