CHAPTER ONE: Let's Do This One Last Time

Alright, let's do this one last time. My name is y/n l/n. I was bitten by this radioactive spider, and for the last 9 months, I have been the one and only Spider-woman.

Well, I don't actually call myself that. To be honest, I find the whole 'hero' name thing to be a bit, well... cringe. Especially if it has 'man' or 'woman' at the end of it. But New York is full of reporters, swamping me when I'm on the job.

"Who are you?"

"What's your name?"

"What do you call yourself?"

Got kinda sick of it, you know?

I had to settle with something.

"You can call me Lynx Spider."

I mostly chose that name because they are cool as fuck, but also because they don't wait around for something to fly into their web. They make shit happen. They go hunt on their own. They don't need ANYBODY. And I felt that would be a good motto to go by. 'Make shit happen'.

Anyways, back to the story. As much as I hate calling myself a hero, you could say I fall into that category. I save people. But not in a stickler-for-rules coppish way. Just in a 'Bro needs help. I should probably do something about that, since I got these kick-ass spidey powers' way.

But, sometimes you can't save everybody. I have experienced that first hand. I wasn't able to save my twin sister.

Valeesha l/n was my world. My lifeline. The only person I told about my alter ego. She was attending school that day, locked up in her english class listening to some old ass white dude drone on about the foreshadowing in some famous poem. She sure loved her poetry, while I'm more of a science guy.

I should have been at school. But being a dum dum, I was fighting some thugs in an alleyway the night before, causing me to catch a cold from the chill of New York at night time. So while I was tucked in bed with a steaming bowl of chicken broth and Chewie, our cat, nestled at the foot of my bed, a government helicopter crashed into school building. To be more precise, crashed through the window of mine and my sister's classroom. By the time I had seen the crash on the news and swung my way through Brooklyn to our school, the building had already been set ablaze, my best friend, my sister, my only family member left, trapped inside.

I never made such a mistake again.

~

"For the love of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, put DOWN the taser. You don't even know how to use it!" I run my fingers over the bump in my mask, where my eyebrows are. What is this guy on? And why does he look like a Dalmatian?

"Y-you don't know that!" Marshall from paw patrol stutters his way through the sentence, holding himself in such a hunched and insecure manner that makes me believe he should be ringing the bells at Notre Dame.

"Honey, you are holding it the wrong way." I point out, gesturing towards his hands.

He looks down, noting that he is, in fact, pointing it towards himself.

"Oh."

"Who are you, anyway? And why do you look like you belong at a fire station?"

Igor the spotted hunchback fixes his posture, raising his head towards me. With a gesture of his left hand, he drops the barbie-pink taser through what seems to be a mini black hole.

"I am The Spot."

My hand flies to my where my mouth is under my mask, stifling an unattractive cackle, my other arm gripping my stomach.

"The Spot. Like, a G-spo-"

"Whatever. Never mind. Now I'm just embarrassed." The 102nd Dalmatian takes a step back, nearly tripping over a can of tomato soup.

Once the urge to hyena cackle finally died down, I released the grip on my stomach and looked back up to his face (does bro even have a face?). "Let's get this over and done with, then."

Lunging forward, I shoot a neon web at his torso, planning on launching him through the corner store's front window. Instead, the web just continues through him, travelling deep into the pit of one of his black holes.

"What the-"

Before I can finish my sentence, he makes a break for it. Pushing past an old lady who is intently staring at a packet of ramen, he attempts to run out the back entrance to the store.

I didn't even need to react, since mere seconds later, he accidentally places a black hole right where he's running, leading to his leg going straight in and tripping him up like a golfer in a gopher hole.

"That didn't require much work." I giggle to myself while he grunts and whines, trying to wriggle his way out of the hole in the floor.

Neon orange and pink webs envelop his hands, tethering them behind his back. Using the light fixture mounted to the sealing, I create a pulley with my highlighter-esque webs and pull him from out of the hole.

Sirens wail in the distance, heading towards the trashed shop that 'The Spot' was trying to rob. After encasing his body (minus his head) in a bubble of vivid web fluid, I dust my hands off onto my jeans and make way for the door of the store.

Villains are getting dumber and less work, I huff internally, this shit is getting boring, I need more excitement!

Lollipop I may or may not have nicked from the store in hand, I stroll out the door, making my way down the street. My other hand rolls up my mask a smidge to expose my mouth, I take a suck on the lollipop, enjoying the sweetness.

My delight is cut short when my hackles raise. Something is amiss.

I stop short in front of an alley shrouded in darkness, save for a swirling light towards the end corner.

"Hm?" I hum aloud, lollipop still in my mouth as I take a small step into the void-of-light space.

"By god, l/n, are you hard to track down."

~

A/N:

ugly ass first chapter. It is 1:18AM. please have mercy on me. I hope yall got what i meant by he looks like marshall and belongs at a fire station 💀💀 also idk where this story is going LOLOLOLOLOL

 I hope yall got what i meant by he looks like marshall and belongs at a fire station 💀💀 also idk where this story is going LOLOLOLOLOL