Cleaning

Nifty had just finished cleaning up one of the rooms of a hotel guest when she heard a slight creak from behind her. She turned, thinking it was just a guest coming from down the hall, or perhaps some pest that she would have to take care of, but she saw nothing. Thinking the old building was just settling, she turned and started down the hall again, going on with her various duties as the cleaning crew of the hotel.

She didn't mind working by herself, she welcomed it in fact. The time alone gave her space to think, as well as giving her some quiet from the hotel's usual noise. Nifty relished the silence she worked in, and it showed through her excellent cleaning. Everything was always spotless, looking as if it were brand new. With Nifty around, the hotel stayed in pristine condition, which made everyone happy, which in turn made Nifty very happy.

The small woman had always enjoyed making people happy...

------

"Come on pretty lady, we don't bite~" Said one of the sleazy drunks from the steps of the bar where he and his buddies had been drinking.

"How many times do I have to tell you, my answer is no."

"Don't be like that-"

The young woman put her hands on her hips, long skirt rustling around her ankles as she fixed the man with a scowl. Bright yellow rubber gloves were on her hands, ending at her elbows, scuffed from how much they were used. At the woman's feet, a bucket with various cleaning supplies sat where she'd put it. She'd only stopped walking because she needed a break from carrying her bucket around, tired from the day's work she'd gone through, wanting nothing more than to get back home so she could lay down and get to sleep.

"Carl Jones, we go through at least twice a week now! You know what my answer is gonna be each and every time you try to get me to be around you and your pals, yet you keep asking!"

"H-Hey-" Carl put his hands up in surrender, one hand still holding a bottle of whiskey, "C'mon Darla, we're just asking if you want to have some fun with us. Lord knows you need it with your husband and all-"

"Talk about my husband again, and I'll take this bottle of floor polish and force it down your slimy throat!" Darla screamed, going a bit red in the face, "Propositioning a married woman to go into a bar with you while you're drunker than a skunk is completely vile! You all should be ashamed of yourselves!"

The group of men looked away shamefully, Carl muttering a short apology as Darla huffed and picked up her bucket again. She stopped when she felt a small tug on her skirt, looking down at a little girl with strawberry blonde hair. In the hand not holding Darla's skirt was a small feather duster, old and ratty.

"Mommy, I'm sleepy." The little girl muttered, letting go of Darla's skirt and rubbing at her eyes.

Darla seemed to soften a bit, shifting to hold the bucket with one hand as she picked up the little girl with one arm, "I know Nancy, I'm tired too."

"Are we gonna be home soon?"

"Yes sugarbee." Darla said as she started walking, "We're almost there."

"Do you think Daddy will feel better?"

"I hope so."

"We should clean the house again!" Nancy said with all the enthusiasm she could muster, "I-If we keep everything clean, the yucky germs can't make him sick anymore.

Darla gave a tired sigh, but she smiled a little, "If you really want to, I suppose we can clean the house again for Daddy."

"I can do it myself if you're too tired."