Lazy Afternoon At The Hotel

Well I'm back at it again! Consuming ungodly amounts of sugar, caffeine, and other junk to make great chapters for you to read! Enjoy you amazing people!

———

It was a rare time in the hotel when there was nothing to do, no people to help, or problems to fix, yet it was a rarity the staff members enjoyed when it came around. Currently everyone was relaxed in the lobby, just in case something changed, though it didn't seem anything would. Angel Dust and Alastor were happily sitting beside each other, Alastor's head on Angel's shoulder, Charlie was currently laying on the ground with her head in Vaggie's lap, who was smiling one of her rare smiles as she ran her fingers through Charlie's hair, Husk sat in a chair with Nifty in his lap, both engrossed in a book they were reading together, and Elizabeth, who through Charlie had recently figured out how to use earbuds and a cellphone, was sitting in her own chair, lost in the music she'd listened to in her life. A nice, lazy feeling had set over the room they were in, relaxed and peaceful in the late afternoon.

Even in Hell, one could find comfort in those they chose as their family, for that is what these souls were, a family. Elizabeth's arrival had only solidified that for them, as she treated them all as if they were her own children. Despite what many think, sometimes a chosen family was all one needed to push through the worst in their lived (or afterlives in this case).

This particular afternoon was a fond one for Alastor, for he had never stopped to enjoy these moments before he'd started his relationship with Angel Dust. He hadn't just sat and enjoyed peaceful silence like this in decades, back when he was alive. Not just when he was alive...but a child, a young child who hadn't yet seen the cruelty the world could bring. As he sat there, eyes closed, one of Alastor's fondest memories began to play in his head, starting with that spectacular yellow sunshine that came in through the windows...

———

Alastor sat in his mother's lap, having just woken up from where he'd fallen asleep the night before. He and his mother had been enjoying the radio, and she had been reading a book of old fairy tales to him. The lamp Elizabeth had been using to see the book she'd been reading was still on, and the book lie open in her lap beside him.

Alastor was just a boy of seven at this time, and he was a very small, thin boy. He had messy reddish brown hair, and skin the color of with a good amount of milk added to it. His large chocolate colored eyes turned up to look at the woman he idolized, who was his whole world. At the moment, Alastor wore no shoes, adn had on a simple white top and grey shorts with a patch sewed onto the right knee. Elizabeth had to constantly patch holes in Alastor's clothes because he got into a lot of fights at school with bullies who liked to try and pick on him, but Alastor wasn't easily put down by others.

Elizabeth was in a yellow dress with a white collar, a silver necklace with a deer pendant hung around her neck, and she also had no shoes on. Her skin was much darker than her son's, and her hair was raven black, a few silver hairs here and there but just few enough that they only made her hair look as if it shimmered in the light. When she opened her eyes, their color like freshly turned soil, she smiled at her son fondly.

"Why good mornin'-" Elizabeth looked up at the clock that hung up over the door of their small home and gave a light hearted laugh, "Well wouldya look at that. It's almost noon. Seems we stayed up a bit later than we thought, huh Alastor?"

Alastor giggled, "I had fun, Mama."

"I did too, Cher." Eliza put her arms around her son, setting the book on the end table with the lamp, "I guess its a good thing ya currently can't go to school."

Alastor blushed brightly from embarrassment, he'd just been suspended for fighting at school...again. Elizabeth hadn't been mad though, she knew her son hadn't started the fight, he only ever fought to defend himself. Unfortunately, given the times, the school liked to suspend Alastor every chance they could, at least that's how Eliza saw it. As far as she knew, the school never punished the bullies who constantly went after her boy, no matter how many times she went up there and caused a ruckus to try and get them to stop these cruel boys from hurting her son.

"It's alright Cher, I know ya was just tryin' to protect yaself."

"They were tryin' to pull out my hair, Mama..." Alastor mumbled as he cuddled against his mother.

"I know, I know. Ya told me yesterday, but that's in the past, Al." Eliza placed a gently, comforting hand on her son's face, her heart fluttering when she saw his beautiful smile blossom across his face. She would sacrifice anything if it meant keeping her boy smiling.

"Can ya read me that book some more, Mama?" Alastor asked, his voice peaked with some hope.

"Are ya not hungry, Cher?"

"Not really...maybe after?"

Elizabeth chuckled and picked up the book, Alastor perking up and giggling as he repositioned in her lap so she could put the book where they could both see the pages. Eliza chuckled and started to flip back to where they had left off, but Alastor's hand stopped her, and she simply smiled and flipped to the front of the book so they could start from the beginning. She didn't mind reading this book to him if it made him this happy, so she tuned the radio into Alastor's favorite station, and cleared her throat as she began reading.

"Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife..."

———

"Aww~ He's asleep." Angel said quietly as he noticed his boyfriend lightly snoring on his shoulder.

"He doesn't let himself fall asleep around us very often." Charlie commented as she looked over at the two, only just turning her head, as she didn't want to move her head from the comfortable place on her girlfriend's shoulder.

"He was always like that." Elizabeth said, having taken out her earbuds when she'd noticed the group starting to talk, "He never really liked anyone catching him sleep."

"He's not the only one who fell asleep." Husk said in an amused tone, setting the book down to reveal that Nifty had fallen asleep in his lap.

"Oh that's adorable." Angel commented upon seeing the tiny woman in the cat's lap. Their size difference was almost comical.

"...maybe a little bit." Husk admitted, a light blush on his cheeks as he turned his head away. Strangely enough, Husk didn't have any alcohol on hand to drink. It was a sight none of them were quiet used to seeing.

"Looks like she's rubbing off on you, Husk." Vaggie commented with a grin, still running a soothing hand through Charlie's hair.

"Shut up-" Husk grumbled.

"Play nice now." Eliza commented, "I'd rather not have to scold any adults today."

"Aw~ but watchin' ya go full Mama Mode is fun, Auntie." Angel insisted with a laugh, "It's the only time Husk looks like he might shit himself."

"Will you shut up!" Husk declared, then immediately slapped a hand over his mouth when Nifty shifted in his lap.

"I wouldn't wake her up, Husk. She looks really comfortable there." Charlie grinned, readjusting himself so Vaggie could braid her hair. Vaggie loved doing Charlie's hair, and even her make up on special occasions.

"Ya'll hush now." Eliza said sternly, "People are sleepin'."

"Sorry Auntie." They all apologized with smiles before returning back to what they were doing, appreciating the peace of a lazy afternoon.