Chapter 14

Lewis is sat at the far end of the sofa while I'm on the stairs watching he and Alfie. The door bell made a breaking noise in the awkward silence.

Lewis went to get the door. "Mother, welcome." He greeted touching her feet and she replied.

"Bless you, child." My mother. Haliya Singh Young is an Indian born and bred woman. She came to USA when she was sixteen for studies with her father who came for business, then she decided to stay.

So she lost some typical attributes like the dressing and pure Hindi. She still has the accent though but not too sound she brought us up with some India cultures like the greeting, food, dressing.

She met father in her late nineteen's and got knocked up at twenty one after their marriage. We celebrate some India holidays that father approves of.

She walked as elegantly as ever, with the typical bangles, shimmering anklets, earrings and necklace. Jewelry is something mother doesn't joke with. She's dressed in a simple gown with traditional patterns.

"Mother, how was your trip?" Alfie touched her feet too.

"Bless you, may have a long life. It was stressful but I made it." She replied Alfie, giving him a hug. I'm still frozen on my spot, I didn't want to move cause I don't know how she would react. I kept my head low and listened to their small chats.

"Orla Singh?" I heard her but closed my eyes, ready for the scolding. Her fingers met my chin, raising my face to meet light. "What is it my child? You did not welcome me or seek my blessings." She said then I opened my eyes.

"Alfie? Lewis? What is wrong with her?" She questioned while I knelt in front of her holding her legs.

"Mum? I'm sorry. I have disappointed you. I don't deserve your blessings. I didn't mean any of it. Someone was stalking me and making my life a movie. Please forgive me mother." I finished tears running down my face.

Mother knelt in front of me, using her thumb pads to clean my face dry and adjust my hair out of my face before hugging me. "Orla dear, I'm not disappointed in you, maybe a bit but not totally. And as long as you're my child, my baby, you deserve my blessings." She replied and I withdrew.

"I do?" I choked out wiping my snort.

"Yes, you do." She smiled back at me.

If I didn't know she was my mother, she could pass as a single lady. She is so pretty, doesn't even look a day over twenty. "But... but Lewis said you're going to be disappointed in him and his up bringing, are you?" I asked her again, tears still leaking.

"No, no dear. Lewis is a grown man and he brought you up very well. You made a mistake and you realized it. Lewis taught you that and that is a great virtue, Orla. I am very sure you reported yourself to him that's why Lexi put it down and that my dear is why I am proud to be your mother." She smiled brightly. "You knew you'd made a mistake, even if you knew your siblings won't be happy about it, you still told them. I'm proud of Lewis' up bringing and very blessed to be his mother." She elaborated and a weight was lifted off my shoulder. I saw Lewis heave a sigh and I sighed heavily before hugging her.

"Mother give me your blessings." She also hugged back.

"May you find your happiness soon." My hold tightened. I didn't want to leave, I like it in her hold. It made me feel safe. Protected from every evil, plus I missed this, the motherly warmth.

Mother is a very busy woman as she runs her own business. She makes time for us once a while though. I don't know what happened next but I knew darkness followed.

I felt a hand go through my hair now and again, it was calm and loving. I kept my eyes close so I will enjoy the feeling. After a while, I decided to open my eyes. "Orla-Singh." It's mother. She helped me up and gave me a glass of water. I drank every gladly which remind me that I hadn't had anything since yesterday.