The American Roommate

Joe could admit it was a stupid decision. He didn't really think about the logistics of putting his address on Craigslist and asking for a roommate when he was a famous actor. However, Kit and the rest of the cast had given him a stern lecture about being careful when it came to his address being on a public domain. Joe was quick to delete the post, but not before someone was messaging him about the listing. He fully read the message which detailed an American girl who was moving to London for college and needed a place to stay immediately. He couldn't really figure out if she was telling the truth or really was just a crazed fan looking to meet him, however, he decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and told her to meet him at a coffee shop for further discussions about the move. After three hours of talking back and forth with the girl, Joe learned that she didn't want to sleep in the dorms because living with more than two people wasn't her thing and had saved up enough money from the job she kept over the four years in high school to afford it and that she had absolutely no clue who he was. When the two walked out of the coffee shop, Joe had offered her the room on the spot. He knew he wouldn't find a better person to lease it to than someone who thought he was just some random stranger on Craigslist. Furthering the idea that she didn't even remember his name, she seemed hesitant, asking him if she could see the room first as if he wasn't a liable person to trust. He nearly laughed in her face as he realized all she saw of him was a random man asking her to live with him. After seeing the apartment and moving in, Y/n and Joe found friendship within one another. They became so comfortable with each other that just after a week of living together, Joe told her who he actually was and what he did for a living. Y/n, continuing to show just how perfect of a roommate she was, laughed it off and told him if they were ever stopped by paparazzi, she would act insane and scare the cameras away.

"Do you want me to leave?" Y/n's voice cut through Joe's thoughts, startling him as he looked up at her from his desk.

"What?" Confusion lacing his voice.

"Your friends are coming over tonight, right? Or did I get the date mixed up?" Y/n mirrored his furrowed eyebrows and inquisitive eye as Joe's face deepened in confusion for a split second before lighting up in understanding.

"Oh! Yeah, yeah, my friends are just coming over tonight to watch movies."

Y/n chuckled as she shook her head, "Yeah, so do you want me to leave?"

Joe looked at her, "No, you can stay. I don't mind at all and they won't either. You can even join us if you want?"

Y/n blinked at him, "You want me, your roommate," She pointed to herself, "to join you for movie night with your famous, rich friends?"

Joe laughed at her surprised state, "Yeah, of course. I bet they'll love you. Plus you're not just my roommate, you're my friend, Y/n."

She smiled at him, "You're my friend too, Joe."

Joe and Y/n both looked at each other blankly for a second before breaking out into laughter.

"Please, please never say that again!" He yelped as he hunched over, clutching his stomach.

Her face turned red from the lack of oxygen, "You started it!"

They both continued laughing until it all wore off and the pair stood panting in his room, "So, you'll join us?"

She smiled, "Yeah, sure."

"Guys, this is my roommate, Y/n." Joe gestured toward the y/h/c girl as she smiled at everyone.

Joe watched as her shyness took over, "Hi, everyone. It's nice to meet you."

Joe recognized the timid personality from when he had first met her in stark contrast with the real person behind all the nervousness. It was really alarming how much different Y/n was once you got to know her. From the volume to the vocabulary, she was increasingly reserved around his friends, new people to her, and he wished they could see her once she's really in her element.