26. {Turn and turn and spin}

Disclaimer// This story of the woman who shed her skin is an old folklore where I'm from told in my own way. Enjoy!

🌼🌼🌼🌼🌼

Complete and utter darkness is all that surrounds us. Pitch black throughout the entire estate because the power lines are down. I'm so glad I got to send over my presentation before the wifi went out.

Now, we're all huddled together in the upstairs master bedroom for the night because everybody feared one thing or another. Sierra was afraid of the dark. Grace was afraid of the storm. Steph was afraid of Emilie's eyes, which glowed in the dark. Not to mention she had no problem seeing everything as if it was clear as day. Amelia feared the way the winds howled. I feared all of the above. We all thought it'd be safer to bunk down together.

I cuddled against Drea beneath the blanket we shared and listened to Sierra tell the story of the woman who shed her skin. "Many years ago, a man travelling through a distant land, and eternal winter, stumbled upon a small igloo nestled in the pine woods after days of journeying. Feeling famished, he quietly hoped for a meal. 'I wonder if anyone is home. Oh, how I long for a taste of cornmeal pudding,' he murmured to himself."

"What's cornmeal pudding?" I asked.

"I don't know," Sierra told me.

"It's pudding." Amelia and Drea said together.

"It's a famous Jamaican pudding," Amelia added.

"My mother used to make it," Drea said. "It's not bad."

"Do you know how to make it?" Amelia asked her.

She laughed nervously. "No. My mother taught me nothing about that side of my culture. Sorry."

"Just as he uttered those words, a woman emerged from the igloo. With lustrous white hair swaying in the wind and eyes as white as snow, her every movement seemed like a graceful dance. The man found himself captivated by her enchanting presence. 'Such beauty I have never seen before,' he whispered in awe. The woman chuckled and spoke, 'You appear exhausted. Would you like to come inside and have a meal?' And so, they entered the igloo, where the woman prepared a delightful dinner of salted fish and cornmeal pudding. Once they finished their feast, she urged him to stay and rest, but the man, feeling fortunate to have received food, was hesitant. 'Thank you for your generosity, but I should continue my journey. I wouldn't want to intrude,' he politely declined. 'Oh, it's no trouble at all,' She assured the man. 'I am always glad to lend a hand.'"

"I feel like she's going to hang him by his skin," Molly said.

"Same." Emilie backed.

"You're both so negative," Steph complained.

"I see it every day." Emilie reasoned.

"Same." Molly backed.

"The following day." Sierra started again. "She treated him to another meal, this time consisting of cornmeal pudding and meat-filled rice. Her kindness enthralled him, and he lost sight of his original quest in her company. By feeding him each day, she managed to keep him there for a long time, until eventually, he asked her to be his wife."

"She gave him some pussy, that's how she fed him," Grace interjected. We laugh.

"She tied him with it," I spoke.

"Just like you tied Drea with it." Amelia jeered. My face reddened in the dark.

The room choked with laughter. Drea only chuckled as her arms closed around me tighter. "If that's the case, I don't mind being tied."