21. Dont Make a Big Deal About It

"Trial is starting." Gregor remarked. Verena turned back to him.

"I dont think I want to attend. Tyrion was always kind to my sister and I... it feels injust him being accused of this." Verena remarked.

"Death is death. we all die." Gregor countered. Verena offered him a small smile.

"Gregor... I... do you think one day you might love me?" Verena pondered and Gregor stared back at her a long moment before heading inside she was going to take that as a no. But she followed after him all the same.

'I Tommen of the house Baratheon first of my name king of the andals and the first man Lord of the seven kingdoms do here by recuse myself of this trial. Tywin of the house Lannister hand of the king protector of the realm will sit as judge in my stead.' Tommen said and with that Tommen left the court his knights following after him. Tywin sat at the throne.

'Tyrion of the house Lannister you stand accused by the queen regent of genocide. did you kill King Joffrey?' Tywin questioned his son.

'No.' Tyrion answered confidently.

So the trail began. Gregor wrapped an arm around Verena's waist pulling her snug to him and she thought maybe he did have a heart. That he did love her... some of the time at least. He felt a certain sense of comfort he didnt realize he liked until Verena came along and was snug against his side.

'You examined King Joffrey's corpse. Was it without question poison that killed him?' Tywin asked the maester

'Without question.' he answered 'this was found on the body of Dantis hollard the kings fool.' The master pulled a necklace out of his robes. 'he was last seen spiriting Sansa Stark the wife of the accused away from the feast she wore this necklace.' He held it out, 'the day of the wedding the residue of the most rare and terrible poison was found and it.'

"They are trying to blame sansa... but she couldnt. She wouldnt. She wanted to but she didnt." Verena whispered.

"Fucker had to go," gregor offered. She touched his knee and he touched her stomach.

"You are going to be a good father." Verena decided. She didnt notice oberyns stare at gregor throughout the trial.

"Had a shit father." Gregor corrected.

'Was this one of the poison stolen from your store?" tywin questioned

'It was. The strangler.' he told them 'a poison few in the seven kingdoms possess used to strike down the most noble child the gods ever put on this good earth.' he told the council.

"You cant be worse than tyrions father. He wants him dead." Verena reminded him.

"I will be a good... father." Gregor stated and questioned meeting her gaze. She nodded kissing his cheek.

'I will hurt you for this, the day will come when you think you are safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth and you will know that the debt is paid.' Cersei told them

'Your own brother said this to you?' Mace asked flabbergasted.

'Shortly before the battle of Blackwater Bay I confronted him about his plans to put Joffrey on the front lines. As it turned out when the attack came Joff insisted on remaining at the battle he believed his presence would inspire the troops.' Cersei lied.

'Tyrion said and he will know the debt is paid.' Oberyn quoted 'what debt?'

'I discovered he had been keeping whores in the tower of the hand.' Cersei told him 'I asked him to confine these salacious acts to the brothels where such behavior belongs. He wasn't pleased.'

'Do you remember the precise nature of this threat?' things were not looking good for Tyrion. Verena believed his innocence but the court was built on liars.

'I'm afraid I do my Lord.' varys answered 'he said perhaps you should speak more softly to me then monsters are dangerous and just now kings are dying like flies.'

'And he said this to you at a meeting of the small council?'

'Yes after we received word of Robb Stark's death.. he didn't seem glad by the news perhaps his marriage is Sansa Stark made him more sympathetic to the northern cause.' There was an uproar in the crowd as varys spoke.

'you are excused lord Varys.' Tywin said.

"He has a heart. Robb was a good man." Verenas little words were drowned out though. Her family were good people. Her child would be heir to winterfell... yet she felt so broken still.

'Father May I ask a witness one question?' Tyrion asked varys looked to tywin.

'One.' Tywin answered

'You once said that without me the city would've faced certain defeat,' Tyrion reminded him. 'you said the histories would never mention me but you would not forget me. Have you forgotten Lord varys?' Tyrion asked

'Sadly my Lord, I never forget a thing.'

"Vee." Gregor whispered. "Love..." he tapped a finger to her chest.

"Vee love. Love Vee? Love me? You love me?" Verena rasped turning into him.

"Dont make a big deal about it."