2. Killing is the Sweetest

Verena used to like the sept. She liked the peacefulness of it, the moment to be closer to the Gods but she couldnt focus. Her mind was clouded and her head was spinning. Who was Cersei going to marry her to?

Thats when the people started shouting, Verena wasnt paying attention. She just kept walking back to the castle with her head down. Sandor glanced back at her, noticing how Joffrey kept a tighter leash on Sansa while Verena was falling farther behind but Sandor knew the girl wasnt his concern. He turned his focus back to the prick of a king.

'We are hungry your grace.'

'Help us!'

'Feed us!'

'Bastard!''

Verena thought about her options, who would she be wed to? In the capital, lets see, Cersei had a good leash on Petyr but Verena didnt want Petyr, she didnt want anyone. Espcially not the man that betrayed her father.

But joffrey didn't care for their pleas. Dung flew across the sky landing on joffreys face. Verena didnt notice too in her head until Joffrey screamed out.

'Kill them! kill them all!' Joffrey demanded, Verena looked up just in time to see objects, bricks flying through the air. Sansa ran forward a scream on her lips.

'Take the king. Protect the king!'

'CLEGANE!" Cersei demanded Sandor scooped up the little prick as he moved through the streets. Sansa didnt look back for her sister until she was safe in the castle walls.

Verena stood there watching them all leave. She could disappear and never look back, but what about Sansa? By the time her feet remembered to move she was already swept up in the madness.  Sandor dragged in Joffrey but Tyrion looked around for Sansa and Verena but Verena was nowhere in sight.

'Where is she? where is Verena?'' Tyrion questioned. Sansa spun around, she thought she was right behind her, now she felt awful for not checking. Joffrey ignored tyrion, his own head spinning from the almost attack. 'take some men and go find the -' tyrion demanded.

'I don't take orders from you imp, I take them from the king.' Meryn spat.

'If we lose her you never get your uncle Jaime back and he has done quite a lot for you!" Tyrion shouted.

Sandor didn't see Verena either. He stomped back outside. Verena felt herself being pulled but she didnt know what was happening. She blinked away the blood dripping into her eyes and realized she was being held down. Her mind had been in such a haze since her father was killed and now this impending union had her mind in the clouds. The men ripped at her dress and she squirmed in their grasp.

'No please, no!' Verena screamed as men grabbed her pulling at her dress. "Let me go!" She begged. "Let me go!"

Another sharp hit to her head and her vision went blurry again as men grabbed her pulling at her dress ripping it down her front. Holding her down she thrashed in their grip. She screamed, growling out, when sandor came in axe swinging around. She panted out a breath as she tried to stand up but fell back down. She scooted back to the corner of the little corridor while sandor finished off the men, he had a similar look as Gregor did when he killed. Sandor looked to a shaking Verena and sighed. Sandor knelt before her.

"Nasty gash." Sandor told her touching her forehead. Verena touched her head feeling the sting and flinched back. "You alright?" Sandor questioned pulling his cloak off and wrapping it around her.

"I'm... thank you Ser." Verena whimpered.

"Come on, i'll help you." Sandor said holding out a hand for her.

"Can't I just stay here?" Verena offered and Sandor sat beside her leaning against the wall. "Is Sansa alright?"

"Shes at the capital. Safe and sound." Sandor agreed. Verena nodded but it only made her head spin more. "Come on let me get you back." Sandor requested picking her up. She went of object saying she could walk but she found herself silenced as she closed her eyes leaning into him.

"Thank you Sandor." Verena whispered into his chest.

"Verena!" Sansa declared when they got back. She ran to her elder sister hugging her tight. "Are you alright? You are bleeding!" Sansa realized.

"Thank you Sandor." Verena repeated as he walked off. She wrapped his cloak tighter around herself. "I'm alright..."

+

"I beg pardon, ser." Verena spoke up when she saw Sandor in the hall, causing Sandor to stop in his tracks to turn and face her, his eyes met hers and her gaze shifted to the ground, to his cloak in her arms.

"Thank you again for saving me. You were so brave Sandor." Verena remarked.

"Brave?" Sandor almost mocked, taking a step towards her, looking down at her with a monotone expression. She took a step back quickly. "A dog doesn't need courage to chase off rats." he assured her.

"Does it give you joy to scare people?" Verena turned to face him properly, as she held out his cloak still.

"No," Sandor corrected taking the cloak from her. "it gives me joy to kill people." Verena shook her head.

"You cared, you made sure I was okay." Verena corrected. "You knelt before me and made sure I was okay, you gave me your cloak, you act this mean man but I see you Sandor Clegane." Verena countered.

"Spare me your kindness girl." Sandor countered with a huff.

"My father-"

"You can't tell me Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell never killed a man." Sandor added and even her fathers name caused a tingling pain to run through her, her face turning red with anger and sadness as she clenched her jaw.

"It was his duty. He never liked it." Verena corrected her voice weak.

"Is that what he told you?" Sandor countered almost amused with Verena's naïve understanding of her fathers actions. Of any mans actions. "He lied. Killing is the sweetest thing there is." Sandor assured her and Verena bit her lip trying to keep back the tremble of her lip and her voice.

"Why are you always so hateful?" Verena questioned, Sandor stared back at her, she didnt say it mean or cruel, just a question that she needed answering.

"You'll be glade of the hateful things I do someday when your sister is the Queen and I'm all that stands between her and her beloved king." He argued back. Verena nodded turning away from him. "Oh and Verena, I just heard the news, welcome to the family."