16. Darling, I'm a Nightmare

Timeless / House of the Dragon x Legends of Tomorrow out now!

Gregor had nightmares. Sometimes his hand would fist verenas hair in his sleep gripping it tightly pulling her head back. She would whimper out begging him to wake up. He would stare back at her a dead void in his eyes before letting her hair go shaking away the strands he yanked free.

Other times verena would be pinned to the bed. His eyes would open like he forgot she was beside him. Again that void in his eyes as he glared down at her debating if she was his enemy. She trembled below him.

This morning however his hand was on her throat.

"Gregor!" She rasped struggling below him. She pounded on his chest as he squeezed harder. "Gre-" she couldn't breathe. She pounded harder as her vision had spots. "G-G-" she tried again. She reached over grabbing the candle stick and smashing him in the head. He didn't let her go but he woke up. Seeing her pale face gasping for breath. He let her go moving off of her and she rolled away from him right off the bed. He never apologized. He just stared at her afterwards. She coughed out for breath bringing a gentle hand to her neck hoping he didn't break her windpipe this time. Gregor got up getting ready for the day as Verena curled up on the floor hoping to become invisible.

Gregor knelt beside her kissing her head like nothing happened. Like he didn't just almost kill her. Maybe he didn't know. Maybe it was all his dreams. Maybe he didn't care. Deep down. Maybe he didn't care if she was dead or not. Just someone to fuck.

When sansa came to find her hoping to avoid tyrion she found her sister crying on the floor. She screamed for a maester when she saw the bruising on verenas neck.

"I'm fine. I'm fine." Verena whimpered but her voice was hoarse.

"Did gregor do this to you?" Tyrion questioned hearing the commotion.

"He didn't mean it." Verena offered.

"He nearly killed you!" Sansa shouted. "Please. You cant stay with him. He is going to kill you. I need you."

"I can get through to him." Verena corrected. "I think I can."

"He's done this before." Tyrion realized.

"Not like this. I would have known," sansa objected. "Hes not getting better. Hes a monster. He is going to kill you. Im going to wake up and you are going to be dead and he wont even care! Don't you see that? He wont care. He doesn't love you. He doesnt understand kindness! He doesn't understand love!" Sansa shouted.

"Maybe not. Be he can be sweet to me. At times..." Verena offered.

"There is blood on the floor." Tyrion remarked moving to the fallen candlestick. He picked it up looking to verena for more wounds but she wouldn't look at him. At either of them. "You used this against him." Tyrion deduced. "To get him off you." Verena sobbed out. "You don't need to stay with him. Have separate chambers. The union was consummated wasn't it?" She gave a little nod. "Then you can spend some time apart."

"I can get through to him." Verena corrected. "He can be nice. He is gentle with me-"

"The bruising on your neck says otherwise." Sansa corrected.  Sansa was right but Verena was grown ass woman and she could make her own stupid mistakes and that meant trying to get through to her husband. 

Til death do them part.