The Bet *Visitor

• Dedicated to Kim Lansangan

Happy Reading! (:

Chapter 11 *Visitor*

~Sophia

A loud thumping of the door wakes me up. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I get up from the bed. A groan escapes from my lips when I notice that it’s just seven in the morning. It’s so early. Whoever is at the other side of the door should have a good explanation on why he or she is woke me up this time of the day.

The person continues to knock at the door.

Opening it, I step back as someone envelops me in a hug.

“Whoa!” I try to gain my balance to no avail. My knees buckle from under me and I fall down on the floor with Driana.

Driana!

She laughs at my expression; no doubt, my eyes are wide with shock. She helps me stand up, smiling like there’s no tomorrow.

“What are you doing here?” I ask when I find my voice.

“Visiting you.” She grins cheekily.

I raise my eyebrow. “Early in the morning?” Driana is not an early person so seeing her this time of the day surprised me. Furthermore, it’s Sunday.

She smiles sheepishly. “I can’t wait to see you. And I want to know what happened in the past few days!”

I should have known she’s coming here. Knowing Driana, I should have expected it. She’s not the type of girl who’s willing to wait. And then I realize something.

“I’m just going to brush my teeth,” I tell Driana.

She playfully covers her nose, as if I have a morning breath.

Rolling my eyes, I say, “Make your self comfortable.”

Before going in the bathroom, I knock once, and then twice. Maybe Drake’s not here. Opening the door slowly, I listen for a second if there’s an unnecessary sound. None, so the coast is clear.

After brushing my teeth, I go to my room and find Driana looking at the walls thoughtfully.

“Hey,” she says when I enter the room. “Nice murals.”

Pursing my lips, I decide to tell her that Drake helped me in doing that.

Driana gives me a knowing look.  The look she and I share when talking about Drake. It’s not that we always talk about him. It’s just that –

“Breakfast is ready!” Andre yells from the other side of the door.

“Do you think he heard something?” I whisper. I don’t know why I don’t like Andre knowing we’re talking about his best friend.

Driana shakes her head and says, “I doubt it.”

“We’re going!” I say a little more loudly.

“Let’s go,” Driana says. “I haven’t eaten yet, you know?”

“Yes, because when you woke up, you went directly to my room.” That’s when I remember something. “Who let you in?” I ask her as we walk down the stairs.

“Andre’s mom,” she answers.

“I hope you didn’t wake her,” I tease.

She flushes. Her pale cheeks redden at the thought. “Of course I didn’t!” She scowls at me.

A smile appears on my face as she turns towards the hallway leading to the kitchen.

“This is the dining room,” I say, pointing to the room across from the kitchen.