twenty-three.

"AND THEN I SAID, what do you mean there's another e in Wednesday?!"

Sophie sat in a pink salon chair, her arm extended as her friend painted on her fingernails. She raised her voice slightly as she told her story, throwing her other hand up in exasperation.

Her manicurist Paulette paused, setting down the pink bottle of nail polish she had been holding carefully. "There's another e?" She asked genuinely.

The younger blonde shook her head with a disappointed sigh before her phone began to blast the latest Taylor Swift song, signaling someone was calling. She looked at the caller ID and saw Bree's name blinking and held up a finger as she brought the phone to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Sophie!" Immediately the sound of wind swishing flooded her phone's speaker and Sophie frowned - where was she? "Bree?"

"Chase is missing!" Before she could react, Bree continued. "Look, Adam and I are in Antarctica looking for him right now but he's nowhere to be found- if you hear or see anything please, call us!"

Amidst of all the wind and Bree's yelling Sophie could faintly make out the sound of Adam's cries. Sophie felt her heart drop and she struggled to come up with a response. "Bree, I-"

Beep.

Sophie brought her phone down and stared wordlessly at the llama-filled wallpaper that adorned her screen. She stayed quiet, still trying to process all the news that had been dropped on her before jumping from her seat.

"I'm so sorry Paulie I really have to go," Her breathing began to quicken and she fished her card out of her purse, practically throwing it onto the desk. "I'll be back, I promise!"

She all but ran out of the salon to her parked bicycle, hopping on and pedaling as fast as she could to the Davenport house.

If she was being honest, Sophie had no idea what her plan was going to the Davenport home. If Chase had really gone missing, she was sure the house had already been searched. But still, something in her gut told her that a little double checking wouldn't hurt anyone.

When she got there she could already see a shadow looming by the door. Hope beginning to bloom in her chest, she ran up the porch and began to pound on the door.

"Sophie?"

The door swung open and Sophie smiled painfully when it was revealed Leo had been the figure who's shadow she'd seen through the door. She tried not to visualize her disappointment, but she figured it was showing a little bit with the way Leo was staring at her.

"Hi, Leo," She nodded at him awkwardly - the two didn't interact all that much, and they'd never been together without Adam, Bree, or Chase nearby.

From where she was standing, Sophie felt a weirdly cold fog biting at her legs. Furrowing her brows she couldn't help but ask, "Why is it so cold in there?"

She tried peeking into the house but Leo blocked her, a nervous smile on his face. "Oh you know how particular Dad is with his temperatures!" He laughed loudly with wide eyes as he inched the door closer to his body. "What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to check if Chase-"

"-Oh, Chase!" Leo interrupted the girl with a dismissive wave. "Yeah, they're still out there looking for him but don't worry this kind of thing happens everyday! Nothing to be concerned about, okay! Okay, bye-"

He hurried to shut the door closed but before he could, Leo's name was called in a scolding tone. Sophie saw a dainty hand slap the boy's shoulder and the door opened wider to reveal Tasha, looking at her son with narrowed eyes. "That is no way to treat your guests! Don't mind him, you can come inside sweetie."