eight.

SOPHIE O'NEIL LOVED to cheer. She loved everything about it, from the crowd she'd gather to the dances and the sparkly pom-poms.

Sure, she got excited about a lot of things, but cheerleading was one of the only things Sophie was truly passionate about.

When she had first joined the team, it wasn't on her own accord. She was pressured by Stephanie to try out, claiming it would help her become popular and she wouldn't be picked on as much. And while at first joining wasn't her preferred choice, Sophie grew to love the sport.

Cheerleading was what gave Sophie confidence. All her life whenever she tried new things, attempt to gain new skills, she would be insulted. Ridiculed for thinking she'd actually be able to be good at something for once.

And she could fake confidence all she wanted, but deep down a small part of her couldn't help but feel like they were right.

She wasn't good at math, she wasn't good at reading, she wasn't good with spelling and she sure as hell wasn't good at writing either. People made fun of her for being dumb and there was nothing to do about it, because it was true. Surely she deserved it, right?

The blonde's self-esteem was at an all time low, but then cheerleading came into the picture. And suddenly the boys who'd laugh at her math scores were complimenting her on how she performed at last night's game. The girls who made fun of her story ideas were now asking her to teach them the dances so they could try out too.

She was reluctant to admit but she guessed they were correct. Maybe she wasn't the brightest tool in the shed. She could never focus in class, she had an imagination far too big for her own good and she wasn't good at basic things like reading and writing.

But she was good at cheerleading, and no one could tell her otherwise.

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

Sophie's summer was uneventful. She had stayed home for the majority of her break as her parents were out of the country for work and her friends were preoccupied with their families. She had thought of asking Chase if he wanted to hang out but decided against it as they hadn't spoken since their last tutoring session.

Sophie's sessions with Chase had helped her greatly. Granted, she still had to take tutoring this year but Mr. Cochran had let her know that her improvement was good enough and she wouldn't be pulled from the team if she kept it up.

She was currently at Bree's house. The girl wanted to join the team and Sophie was more than happy to help her out.

"It looks good but try to be a little bit sharper," she suggested. Bree took the criticism and tried the routine again, earning a happy nod of approval.

As Bree went over the routine again Adam came rushing into the room, clutching his heart. "Bree, you scared me!" he panted. "I thought you blew up!"

"No, I was practicing my cheer."

"Oh, you mean... tick-tick-tick-tick-boom! We're dynamite! We're boom!" Adam jumped around, doing his own little routine. "Also, what is boom dynamite? I'm all excited and I don't even know what it is!"

"Adam, that's the beauty of cheerleading. You don't have to think," Bree said.

"Well, then it's perfect for me! I cannot wait for tryouts."

The brunette's smile fell. "Wait, you're trying out?"

"Duh, you just saw my mad tick-boom-pow skills. Pow! That's the 'pow' part."