CHAPTER 24 - HUSBAND

The healthcare facility was closer than I had anticipated. Nonetheless, it took me more than ten minutes to locate a spot in the driveway that was unoccupied. Eugene opened his drowsy eyes as I eventually pulled up and dried his runny nose on a piece of tissue before wrapping it inside another piece of fresh paper and tucking it in his left hand, presumably intending to throw it in the nearest trash can.

"You can just drop me here if you are busy. I can call a cab back."

I killed the engine and turned to my right, simply staring at him. His voice sounded weary and gravelly, yet for reasons unknown, my ears opted to interpret it as seductive. The coarseness in his tone made me crave to hear him say "Good Morning" shortly after waking up from a very productive night. Maybe I should consult a psychologist while we are here. Then again, who can blame me? For the love of God, I am an author, and my life's mission is to seek out desirable features in guys and create cringe-worthy moments in the most ridiculous situations.

"Are you certain you mean it?"

I inquired, gazing at him coolly, which dragged his attention away from taming his disheveled hair to me. Eugene offered me a feeble grin and scratched his head, shrugging his shoulders in response.

"Nope."

His genuine answer brought a smile to my lips. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing how he was becoming more at ease with me.

Soon, we both walked into the white building, and I got Eugene's ID while stepping to the reception area right after forcing him to sit in the visitor's seat. I observed that the name on his driver's license was not Eugene; instead, it was his Thai name, Tanawat Ritthirong. I also took note of the date of his birth and was surprised to learn that he would be turning twenty-nine in just over four months, making him two years older than me. His blood type was O-positive, whereas mine was B-positive. Perhaps I should check out our level of compatibility once I return to the hotel room. At this point, I have completely given up questioning myself over why I am getting these illogical thoughts when it comes to Eugene.

The lady at the front desk collected the registration fee and gave me a token in return. She instructed me to proceed to the laboratory first, where his blood pressure and other vitals were to be obtained, and then come back to the lower level to consult the doctor. My father was the most recent person I accompanied to the medical center. Six months ago, he injured both of his hands while repairing Mom's car, and I rushed him to the emergency room. I recall him gripping my hand firmly while the nurse gave him a tetanus shot. I am curious to find out if Eugene is afraid of injections too.

"I despise the stench of hospital disinfectants."

Eugene muttered as we approached the examination room, and the physician guided him to an armchair placed next to multiple medical devices. I chuckled and passed him some tissues from my purse, which I had grabbed before exiting the car. I was certain it would come in handy. Thanking me briefly, he pressed the piece of paper against his nose, his brows wrinkled together in disgust. The nurse recorded his oxygen level, respiration, heart rate, body temperature, blood pressure, and weight on a computer. The report will subsequently be forwarded to the doctor. Reduced paperwork equals more trees conserved.

"Have you contacted anyone who might have COVID?"

It had become a common question asked of sick people after the outbreak of the viral pandemic, and it had since grown into a matter of routine.

"He plunged into a pool of freezing water last night and had been trembling a lot. He works long hours without rest and has not eaten much since the morning. By evening, the symptoms were getting severe. We are currently working together and have taken COVID tests. Anyone affected is not permitted to work."