CHAPTER 8 - RAGE

I was still feeling weak the following day, but it didn't seem like my uterus was going to burst out anymore.

"How are you doing, kid?"

Nathaniel inquired as I approached them and sat on the unoccupied chair beside him. I observed the grown man scribbling on the manuscript and ran my eyes over it. The cinematographer, Varun, was also seated next to us, and he offered me a smile, which I returned politely.

"Better. Are there any changes?"

I asked, my gaze fixed on the paper.

"Naah. I would not alter your work without your consent. I was just jotting down the sequence of the scenes to be covered this week. The sun may set sooner today, and Varun is quite particular about proper lighting."

I understood what he was implying. The quality of a film mostly depends on how it is captured in the frame. In the pre-production meeting, I emphasized Varun's name for this exact reason. I watched a few of his Indian movies, and I thought he was really underrated. As per Varun's suggestion, we decided to shoot all the crucial parts today and put off the rest until tomorrow.

.......................

"Cut! Short break."

When the Assistant Director yelled, everyone relaxed instantly and broke into audible conversations. However, the actors' flirtation still continued, and I smiled and shook my head. It was a fight scene between Kim's character and the protagonist's best friend. I believe her name was Aisha. They broke into laughter once the clapboard sound echoed, and Kim whispered something to her, which made the young girl blush profusely. Somehow, I was relieved that he gave up on me.

Speaking of which, where was Eugene? I brought the container he gave me yesterday to return to him and to see him, even though I would never openly admit it. He was nowhere to be found on the set, so I excused myself from Nathaniel's side and went for a stroll around.

Several cameras were filming the actors and the crew, and these footages would be broadcasted throughout the film's promotion period. They didn't have to act because the majority of them were genuinely hilarious. Although I didn't know everyone, I was growing to enjoy this team, although there were still some people who I believed had a hateful attitude. But who was I to make judgments when I constantly wore a poker face?

I was heading towards the VFX tent with a mug of espresso in my hand when I noticed the familiar shoulder of a certain tall guy. Upon seeing him, something heavy settled on my tummy, and I swallowed the coffee hastily. God, I was really behaving like a silly teenager.

As I neared him, I realized he was collecting some documents from a man I assumed was the special effects supervisor. I made no noise as I approached the tent and waited behind it. However, the fluttering fabric obscured me from their view.

"But I spent three hours typing this."

Eugene tried to remain as polite as possible, but his despair was apparent even through his voice.

The bald fellow shook his head as though he were the one offended.

"I know. But how was I to know they had modified the content? Eugene, please. I would have done it myself if it hadn't been for my sick wife. I have no one else to help me."

I expected Eugene to refuse the work, but the idiot shifted his legs clumsily while scratching his head and then accepted the paperwork from the supervisor, whom I suddenly found disagreeable. It took me so much self-control to stop myself from interrupting them and teaching the short man some vocabulary. Eugene had nothing to do with his wife's illness. He wasn't even in the same department, for heaven's sake. Is it really that difficult for him to say no?