22 Amante

Rumbling

Rumbling.

Slow and formidable is the noise that laps throughout the province of the room. A shadow twinkles by the shattered pieces of glass from the destroyed window. Ripples of silhouette lurches before crippled black bones with scales clawed at the sill. It hauls its body through the alcove, breaking the walls and creating cracks through the chamber walls. Shaking it. Threatening it.

It took my all to not let the scream building up break me. But Ezdan stood his ground. Not moving an inch away from me, The salivating beast's blue, flimsy eyes flashed at us. Opening and closing like the gills of a fish. it was bigger than us, built like what I imagine satan to be in the form of. Fangs, scales, and limbs that resembled humans but not, a crazed joke of nature but not. It took one stare of me and sniffed the air around brutally. Then it roared. A pitch that deafened me for a moment till I realized I was running.

Being dragged away by the grasp of Ezdan whose hands were laced with mine.

It doesn't follow us, one glimpse through the balcony amassed by the corridor confirmed his calls. His mates, more than three slithered, ran, and flew towards the very exit Ezdan seemed to be aiming for. The one with the wings crashed through blocking our path, we shuffle to the nearest bylane and ran, ran for everything that was our life.

"I can't"

I said when the gown kept tackling my pathetic footing. Ezdan wasted not a second to haul me up his shoulder with a strength I guarantee that no human of normalcy would possess. He slips into an empty room down the spiralling case and sets me down on a table.

He then crouches on one of his knees and gathers the fabric of chiffon by my knees. In the darkroom, my protest got swallowed by the fear gnawing at what seems to sniff us outside these doors. when he rips away the gown by my knees like a scrape of paper- I, again am taken surprised by the unnatural strength he was displaying.

"There, you should be able to run now," he said, inspecting the unevenly torn material of my dress before dropping it to the ground.

"They will hear you" I whispered, keeping a hand on his arm. Strong and firm, assured dignity and power swirl within each movement of his that I had tended to disregard in the past.

"They can't hear us"

Silence.

Our eyes meet. His eyes are simmered in fury as I have never seen housed in them. But through them, he reads a million questions on my face.

"They can only smell us. Beasts like Avloths can only hear what they see, They listen from their eyes. they can only hear or feel the callings of their kind" he explains. I yet wasn't calm about the fact they could still smell us but then I notice a pleasant scent whiff around me and I finally took my time to look around.

Room of Essences.

We were in a cellar of fragrant oils. not by coincidence. But by technique. Ezdan was buying us time.