5️

Thirst

Thirst.

It was a torment to understand how badly I wanted to douse myself in water when I had almost drowned the last time I was awake.

I was thirsty.

My throat is parched, as if I had accidentally swallowed on a fistful of sand. But it's where the relativity ends, I can't seem to put my fingers on where I was and what I was deemed to do?

Other than feel the thirst.

So I stared at the canopy of our familiar tent, my head pounds with each lapse of time and event that I kept picking up. The rememberings hurt the same. Then I sat up, my limbs cry with the inches of movements it endured. I wheezed with silent inhales when Dorin came, he was beside me as soon as he entered the tent.

Next to him was Castle, their injuries sustained were sickly visibly. A gash of claws on the limbs and neck of Dorin. Bruised temple on Castles porcelain face. In my state of dizziness, I look down at my own hands, aided with bandages my wrist and forearms looked like a work of sloppy medic who had put me together in hurry.

Patting at my shirt I sniff my pain in, drinking in the water that Dorin provides me with relief. Then the room grows quiet. It swarms like a disturbing flock of bees. They don't say or do more than stare at me. Dorin with worry clouded gaze and Castle with unreadable one.

Then in slow realization, I look to my right, at a steelware that reclined. The one Castle employs to style her hair. But now, the round spear reflected me. It was me, my entirety. It had been so long since I let my feature stray free in completion that it took me a minute to savor in the girl that stare back.

Dark midnight hair reached inches past my shoulder, they were thick and glowed with the flickers from the fire. It made the green of my eyes gleam in accordance with the shine of a birth emerald. My skin hadn't been healthier and lips never so pink. They were all most red.

The history doesn't lie.

Women of Helios were born beauty.

Still would be if given a choice than be called a curse.

"What happened?" I ask compelling my gaze away from admiring the kind of face that won't get me anywhere.

Dorin scrutinizes me as if testing the fumes before dipping himself in.

"We were defending ourselves when you left, we were losing, the wolves had us cornered. But-

A wrinkle pinches his forehead.

-but then there was this whistle, a wolves call. Probably the one from their leader as we have read. When it reached them, they stopped. They ceased ambushing us and before we knew what was happening they were gone"

He runs a hand through his face, I tensed when words of darkness in the sea whispered into me in my thoughts. Or the mystery of how I was alive even after floating beneath the surface for so long. Or how we were all spared.