22. [Only The Truth]

1707 words
[★★★★☆]

  "Miles. I'm s-sorry. Please just talk to me. H-How often do I have to try?" Alex asked, on the verge of tears. "Please Al. Please be quiet. Don't talk to me. Please." Miles said, completely desperate. He didn't sound mad.. just extremely sad. But why? Why didn't he want to talk to him? The bell rang. "I gotta go now." Miles said and stormed off. It was that one lesson where everyone had class, expect for Nick and Alex.

After 13 minutes of silence, Alex noticed someone approaching. Nick. Who could've guessed? "Al, are you alright?" He asked and sat down next to him, as the other boy shook his head. "Miles.. he's-.." Nick interrupted him. "Miles.. it's always Miles. Alex, can you clear yer mind off of him for a second and also think about Matt? Two people you love most in yer life? D'you want to give 'em up, Al?" Nick questioned. "Miles keeps avoiding me.. and Matt deserves it." Alex said and tried to sound angry.

"Fuck Miles for a second. Sorry-.. but god, Al.. Matt loves you so. I'm sorry but d'you have one fucking clue how much he blames himself for everythin'? How much it hurts him to see both ya and Miles treating him like shit when he's clearly tryin' to apologise? Al, the day it happened, when you stormed off, Matt was on the verge of tears and asked us to leave. Ya should've seen him. It was.. heart breakin'. It wouldn't have surprised if he bursted into tears afterwards. He fucked up, yes. But that's not on earth nearly a reason to treat him like shit. It's not always about you." Nick said. He had enough of it. Enough of Alex's behaviour. He felt good after he got this off of his chest.Only the truth.

Alex kept quiet. He tried to process what Nick had said. Matt was really feeling like this? Alex never thought of it.. He somehow felt guilty. He wasn't treating his best friend right, was he? "Think about it, Alex. Ya don't want to lose 'em both. And I'm telling you. If you can't live in peace with Matt, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I won't be able to live in peace with you." Nick added. He didn't regret a word. He meant it. Alex was too overwhelmed to answer. He was scared.

"Matt also tried to talk to Miles. He apparently didn't even seem mad at him, nor did he treat him like trash. Matt said that it seemed like Miles wasn't trying to avoid him because of the video. He just tried to be alone and didn't want to speak to anyone and I can confirm- I tried to talk to him. He really seemed sad and totally off. Figure yer shit out with Miles, Al.. I'm not sure what's wrong with him but I know you will be able to help." Nick explained and Alex nodded, deep in thought. This was so much at once.. too much. The bell suddenly rang. Alex looked up at Nick with a hint of guilt and saw someone approaching behind him. His eyes widened.

"I'm sorry, I gotta go." Alex mumbled and stood up and left. Nick noticed his gaze and looked behind him. Nick sighed in worry. Worry that Alex wouldn't forgive Matt. "Hey Nick.." Matt greeted the boy who smiled at him. Jamie was also there. "I talked to him.." Nick informed and Matt's expression changed. He tensed up. "It's hard to tell. Well- I kinda went hard on him but it had to be said. I do hope I made up his mind." Nick said. Matt looked at Alex in the distance. He was walking further away. Matt nodded slightly at Nick.

[★★★★☆]

The lessons went by and another day of school passed. Alex was glad about it. He didn't want to go to school because of all the looks he received. Also because he felt so terrible that he only wanted to lay down in his bed. The last mornings he would complain about it to his mother and ask her to let him stay at home. But no- Penny was sensible and even though she knew what Alex was going through, she didn't want him to skip school. "Al, do you wanna play chess?" His father asked and Alex nodded with a bright smile.

He sat down next to his father in the garden, while Penny was watering the plants. "Wait I'll get summat to drink!" Alex said and stood back up again. Just when he entered the house again and was heading towards the kitchen, the door rang. "It may be the delivery guy!" Penny said and looked at Alex. "I'll open! Don't worry, mum." He smiled at her and went to the door.

He opened it and-.. "Matt.." Alex looked at him with widened eyes. Matt smiled when he saw him. Then his face sunk again. "Al! I-I wanted to talk to y-.. please let me! I'm so sorry!" Matt sounded so much like he was panicking. The way he talked was normally the way Alex talked.. not Matt. Alex didn't answer and stared at him. He didn't know how to feel. A part of him wanted to shut the door but.. the other part felt huge guilt.

"Al, I swear you can talk to me about ya having sex with Miles all the time. I don't give a fuck! Please, I didn't mean this to happen. You and Miles, I- feel so-.." Matt started his apology but Alex interrupted him. "He doesn't want to speak with me." He stated and looked onto the ground. Matt's expression changed from panic to worry. "What why? I thought you two were with each other the whole time.." Matt mumbled. "I told him that it may have been better if he wasn't there..I'm so stupid, Matt. I don't deserve him.." Alex rambled with visible sadness.

"Al. You're the most loveable and sweetest person I know. If yer talkin' anything about deserving one another, he'd be the one to not deserve you. But he does deserve ya for the person you are, just as you deserve him. Jeez, can't you see? Yer perfectly made for each other. Don't let this get into yer way." Matt spoke, then seemed to get more emotional, as he added, "And Al, I-I.. please. I don't want to lose you. I'm so so sorry. Yer my best friend and I love ya. Please tell me how I can make it up to you." Matt rambled. He didn't know where this came from. But it was the truth.

Alex looked at him like he had seen a ghost until something unexpected happened. He started crying. No, not because of Miles. But because of Matt. How could've Alex been so mad at him? There was Matt once again, trying to help his best friend and now telling him how much Alex meant to him. What would become of Alex if he didn't have him? And Alex avoided him.. He felt so so stupid. They were best friends. How was he ever going to make this up to him?

Matt looked at him in worry. Why was his best friend crying? Was it because of Miles? Or did he say something wrong? Alex hugged Matt who was overwhelmed with the situation. "Hey Al, are you alright?"
"N-No! Matt I'm so sorry. Matt- I treated you like shit. I was so stupid! I'm sorry- I love you too." Alex said and Matt couldn't believe what he heard. He was so fucking glad that Alex forgave him. But he also didn't expect that. "Al, don't worry. We were both stupid." Matt chuckled and finally wrapped his arms around Alex.

They stood there a few more seconds so that Alex would calm down again and then they parted. Penny was wondering what was taking his son so long and approached the door. But when she saw Matt she stopped. She quickly waved at him, which he noticed and joined her husband again. "Ok now.. again. About Miles.. I don't think it's necessarily because of you. He didn't even want to speak to Nick and Jamie when they tried." Matt said.

Alex thought about it and it made him even more worried. Why was Miles avoiding everyone? "I don't know what happened but yer the only one who can talk to him." Matt added. "But he doesn't let me.." Alex muttered. "Have ya tried in a more calm way? I know how you are behaving when you feel like you've done summat wrong, Al. Just be yerself." Matt said. "Uh.. by the way. I have yer rucksack." He informed and got it off his back and handed it to Alex.

"My diary!! I completely forgot about it!" Alex almost yelled and opened the rucksack to see his diary. Then he remembered something.. he opened it to the last pages he wrote in. The love letter. Was this his way to approach Miles? Matt noticed the sudden change in Alex's face. "What's going on in yer mind now?" He raised an eyebrow. "I know how to approach him." Alex confidentially answered, receiving a nod and a smile from Matt.

"Lemme know how it went, Al. I'm always available." He said and Alex returned the smile. "Should I go to him today.. or tomorrow in school?" Alex asked. "Hm.. I think you should go to him now, Al. To show him how important he is to ya. Talking out of experience.. Besides, he can always flee from you in school but not at his own house.. also.. uh talking out of experience." Matt chuckled and Alex joined.

"Okay.." Alex said. "Well.. I was actually on the way to Jamie's, y'know. He's probably wondering where the hell I am.. But this was more important, so.. yeah." Matt laughed it off and Alex did too. "Bye then, Al. Immediately tell me what happened." Matt said and Alex nodded, as Matt turned around to leave. "Wait Matt. Thank you.. thank you so much." Alex told him, receiving an honest and sweet smile from Matt. He was so happy. So happy that they were friends again.