Meeting the Fishman King

Alex dangled from the old man’s arm, she’d given up struggling about half an hour ago. Her single eye fixed on the ground, the sound of Namur and Haruta chattering away to one another was the only thing keeping her calm, if it wasn’t for them she would still be freaking out, trying to bite and fight her way out. 

Eventually the cobblestone pavement changed to a muddy, coral-like grassy terrain as they entered the Sea Forest, Alex sighed, at least the old geezer might put her down now, or she hoped anyway. At some point her pinned arms had been let loose, so now she was sort of being held more like a barrel under his huge bicep. Wasn’t the most comfortable way to be held, but she preferred it to the way from before.

She noted that Jinbe finally took the lead, much to the old geezer’s grumbling and low growling swears. Didn’t this stupid old brick have any manners? All he did was swear, make rude comments and make threats. She sneered in disgust, Alex couldn’t believe this was her actual biological father, they were so different and she liked to think that she would never be like him.

Her Papi had always said to be polite, no matter how rude or how terrible a person is, it was still no excuse to lower oneself to their level, iIf anything it proved you were better, swearing was nothing more than a buffoon’s way of trying to sound tough or high and mighty, when they were actually a piece of garbage.

Although she didn’t swear, Alex did not have the strength to resist insulting people she did not like, even if those insults were childish or stupid. 

She had no clue how her grandfather could always remain above such things, even when the person in question was utter garbage. Alex supposed being around for such a long time, helped your tolerance. 

The girl made a half-hearted attempt to look up, but the way she was being held made it pretty much impossible. Sighing, Alex dropped her head back down, only to be jostled as the dumb old geezer pulled the child to his chest, her face pushed into his neck as he tensed up.

"Who the hell are ya?" The old man demanded, Alex couldn't see who he was talking to but his voice had gone sharp, it held a certain coldness that made a shudder of fear drive its way down her spine. 

Namur’s voice came out in a harsh shake as he decided to answer for the unknown stranger. "That's him, he brought more with him this time..." 

Alex tried to strain her neck to catch a glimpse of what was happening, however the old geezer's hand clung too tightly, the fear coursing through her veins discouraged her from yelling and trying to escape. She didn’t want to become the new target for the Yonko's wrath.

"That 'ight…?" He snarled, the old man's voice dropped a couple more octaves, until it sounded dark and gravelly. 

"PISS OFF YA FUCKIN' SHOWER SPONGE AN' YOUR DAMN BUDDY'S TOO! YOU LEAVE NAMUR ALONE, HE DON'T WANT NOTHIN' TA DO WITH YA!" Haruta roared, the rage was unmistakable, their voice practically shook from it. 

However Namur didn't say anything, he was silent. 

Alex found herself thinking back to when he had spent time comforting her, even though he barely knew her. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she took a deep breath, then in the calmest voice she could muster and bravely asked "Old man! Put me down." 

Whitebeard turned his golden eyes down to her, seemingly startled. Alex opened her mouth about to repeat it much louder, but it wasn't necessary, the old geezer dropped her as she landed on her feet instinctively.