She'll be back, right?

She took a deep inhale of air, coughing and gagging. Alex could breathe, all she knew was how cold she felt, water was running down her face, her eye was heavy, she couldn't regain control over her heavy body. She quickly started to lose conscienceness, only making out a familiar voice very close to her face and then the sinking darkness of sleep.

As a small girl ran through the surf, the water splattered up her legs, however that was fine she was already soaking from her swim. The sand was soft underneath her feet, the tiny grains sticking to her like a golden coat. The sea breeze tussled her long blonde hair, causing the child to sweep it away from her eyes.

"PAPI! PAPI, LOOK WHAT I FOUND!" The little girl yelled as she charging over towards her grandfather, the animal in her grasp writhing as she grappled the thing to her chest. The old giant smiled down at child fondly, though when he noticed the creature in her arms, he sighed weary.

"Alexandra what on earth are you doing with a baby sea king?"

"I found it all alone, so I'm going to look after it!" Little Alex giggled.

"Girl, that baby's mother is probably looking for it..."

Her grin dropped, as she readjusted the long sea serpent as it still struggled to get away.

"Oh... but it was alone."

Her Papi bent down, crouching over his tiny granddaughter. Prying the animal out of her grasp, much to the girl's disappointment, however she did not stop him. "Come on show me where you found it."

"But it was all alone..." She repeated sadly, causing papi to grumble, it wasn't his annoyed grumble, Alex knew what that one sounded like. This one was much more soft and tired, the face he pulled made him look much older than normal.

"Just cause it was alone now, doesn't mean it is alone. It's mother will be looking for it before long, she'll be wanting to find her baby. It's only natural for a parent to come back for their child. Anyway it was probably off playing a bit away from her. Just like how I leave you to go off and play, doesn't mean you're suddenly alone, does it?"

The small child paused, thinking over his words carefully, before brightening "Yeah! I understand!"

He gave her a sceptical look, he did not push the matter further, only standing up once more, his joints popping. "Alright, let's go... where did it come from."

"Damp cove. I found it by one of the ship rocks."

'Ship rocks' is what Alexendra called the ship graveyard on their island, it was where the shipwrecks were dragged up through the sea current and made their final resting place as they were smashed to pieces.

"Alexandra... what were you doing down there without me, you know the current is too strong!" Papi reprimanded, the girl took little notice, instead watching the baby sea king thrash about in her grandfather's huge hand. The old giant made the creature look like a ordinary sized eel, not a monster half the child's size.

"I'm a good swimmer. I can swim there fine."

"I don't care how good of a swimmer you are, one stray wave and you would be absolutely bashed to pieces by the rocks!"

At that point his nagging had faded into the background. Young Alex was thinking about the sea king's mother... She would be back for it.

The scene changed, melting into a swirl of colours, the warm sunny day along with the sand and the ocean faded, turning into a different place entirely. Alex was lying in her bed, the night air had gone cool, blue and grey shadows bounced off the walls, the only light was from the next room, which shone under the door.