Chapter 29

First Day in College

I took a bath immediately and noticed the love bites all over my body, huh! I am so embarrassed. He has already prepared coffee and upma for our breakfast.

"Doctor, you should have called me," I said pouting. He smiled and gave me a kiss on my cheek.

"Well, you were sleeping like a baby and your body must be sore, so I thought I would wake you after I made some breakfast, anyway come let's eat," he smiled innocently.

"Thanks, doctor and I am a little nervous since it's my first day at the college," I replied as we sat down to have food.

"You don't need to be scared of anything my dear. You will enjoy it more, I am sure of that," again I was cradled in his warm words. Now that I think about it, what would have happened to me if I never met him, will I be able to achieve any of this? Love, friendship, dreams, relations, I learned about everything experiencing them through him. I am grateful to him till my death.

We both got ready and left home together. When we reached the college he accompanied me to the office and we met Dr Varkey.

"Then all the best, Sathya. Enjoy your first day," he went to the hospital then. I entered my class and saw Jessy waiting for me, saving me a seat next to her.

"Sathya, here, come here," she waved her hand enthusiastically

"Jessy, I am very happy to see you again, " I sat next to her happily. The whole class were staring at us, there are more than 20 students. Most of them were boys and only six of us were girls. Since the classes were already begun I along with Jessy and two other kids were new in the class. On the first day, I and Jessy met all the other students in our class. Everyone was very friendly with Jessy because she was our HOD's daughter and I was kind of like an alien to them. I am glad I met Jessy.

Professors were more brutal than him, they continued the class without even clarifying the previous classes to the newcomers like us. But then; "I know you guys must be super lost right now, I will help you with the previous topics," a pair of kind eyes protected with thick glasses decided to save us. Hariprasad Nair, the same age as me, is a brilliant nerd in our class.

"Thank you, Hariprasad," I answered

"Just call me Hari," he smiles

"Hari, you were the topper in the main entrance exam right?" asked Jessy

"Yes, that was me," he has such a kind smile

"Wow! You do look like a genius," Jessy commented

"Thanks," he laughs, "Sathya, right? I saw you with a doctor earlier, Dr Balakrishna Chandrasekhar, how do you know him? I am a big fan of his thesis work, I got it from the library. Are you his sister?" he questioned with his sparkling eyes. Jessy began to laugh as soon as she heard the question. He was baffled and I was embarrassed.

"He is Dr Balakrishna, and he is not my brother but my husband. I am his wife, Sathya Balakrishna," I smiled

"Ehh? Serikum?( Is it true?)" his face grew close to mine in shock. "Yes, it's the truth," Jessy replied with a grin, pushing his glassy face away from me.

"Wow! An age-gap marriage!" he said as if he is seeing a couple like us for the first time.

"Is it your first time hearing about age-gap marriage? What about your parents?" Jessy was annoyed

"No... No... I was not gasping in a bad way, I am just surprised in a good way. And of course, my parents have a 9-year difference between them," he laughed.

Just like that I and Jessy became friends with Hari, and he helped us cover the missed classes during the break times. The first day at school was not as bad or scary as I thought. Dr Varkey's classes were funny and entertaining, he didn't forget to mention my name as the topper of the exam and my husband as his favourite student. Overall, the first day was amazing. I ate lunch with Jessy and Hari under a beautiful red flower tree what they call muthashi vaaka (grandma vaaka). The campus is gorgeous and my classmates are very cheery.

"Hey, hey, hey, first years, we are your dear seniors and the power to invite each and every one of you to our college is bestowed on us. Kindly listen to us and join in for a fun adventurous ride," a gang of senior students stomped in after lunch.

"What is this?" I asked

"Huh! They are our seniors and they were waiting for the second entrance to finish so they can arrange a fresher's welcome party. I think they decided to conduct one," Hari replied

"Oh! So interesting," It was my first time experiencing something like that, so I was very excited.

"Look at them, all of them look like goons from Davood's underworld. Are these really medical students studying to save life or gangster trains to take life," Jessy commented judging their appearances. I can't say she is exaggerating, they do look like rowdies. The weird hairstyles and pants shirts are straight from MGR movie villains and do appear scary. I began to giggle along with Jessy.

"So remember the time, it's tomorrow and be there in beautiful traditional wear," one of the seniors proclaimed.

"Hey Sathya, look at that one with the snake-like moustache, doesn't he reminds you of a joker from movies?" questioned Jessy

"Yeah, he does," I replied

"No, more than him, I think that one with long hair is more suitable for that title," Hari showed as another senior. I couldn't hold back my laugh and I laughed. Everyone faced us, staring, and confused including the seniors. We were petrified.

"Huh! I think our words were so funny to some, what should we do now, president?" one senior asked another with a thick beard.

"Well, note their names and save them safely, let's perform a post-mortem later," he sneered as we gulped in fear. A post-mortem? What is that mean? I asked myself.