Chapter 23

Through Bala's Eyes I

Note: The story continues through Bala's point of view

I adore being alone myself, reading, and living my life as a doctor. I never once considered bringing someone into my bizarre life. Maybe the reality is that I wasn't prepared or that I felt everything was okay the way it was.

"Hey Bala, Da, can you check on the lady from the general ward bed number 9, I got a call from Doctor Sunil, he needs some assistance," said my best friend since college, Dr Vinod Thambi.

"Sure," I didn't care about my life at all. I thought it wasn't even important. I am in my 30s and eventually, my Amma will stop talking about marriages so I can live my life peacefully. I wished for a life without being a burden to anyone. There was not even a girl in my life who made me feel something special, other than my Amma of course, but no one in a romantic way. I thought I was asexual at some point and even considered myself strange or more abnormal than others. But ultimately I was fine with this life. I was getting used to this loneliness.

"Bindu Rajan?" I was standing in front of bed number 9 in the general ward, a lady in her 30s is sleeping while her husband and daughter sitting next to her, having breakfast.

"Amma oranguvanu, (my mother is sleeping)" said her daughter.

"Ok," I began checking her reports, it said she is suffering from a high fever and chest pain, and the reports say it was pneumonia. Her condition is not that bad and she is already on the medication. She is getting better.

"Do you want me to wake her up doctor?" asked her husband

"No, let her sleep, I will wait," I have seen many couples in my life. But them. They are a little different from all. While waiting for the patient to wake up I decided to chat with her daughter and husband.

"What's your name, molu? (dear-feminine)

"Reena Rajan," said the girl

"Don't you have school today?"

"Yes, but Achan (father in Malayalam) has to go to work and no one will be there to care for Amma, so I took leave," she answered very innocently.

"I am working in a woods manufacture shop and I can't take leave, because it's our only way of living. She is working in a house as a servant but fell ill three days ago. At first, we thought its a simple fever, but then it got worse. When we took her here a doctor told me it's pneumonia, if we were late she could have died," he ended his word with a trembling voice. I understand he cares about his wife and daughter very much, even though he doesn't have much to provide for them, he loves both of them.

"She will be alright in two days, then you can take her home. Give her healthy and fresh food, and don't make her overwork," I said

"Yes, doctor," spoke her husband Rajan as I wondered can I ever be like him. Can I love someone unconditionally like him? Probably not. Suddenly my phone rang, it was, of course, my mother.

"Ennamma? duty-le iruken,"(what is it Amma? I am on duty.)

"Oh! So you don't even have time to talk with your mother now da,"

"Amma, I am really at work, please tell me why you called," I asked her knowing what she is about to say. It's obviously marriage.

"Bala, do you remember the broker who bought Nandhini's alliance for Selvan, I saw him one week ago. He told me about an amazing girl from Sivagiri, she is 23 years old and a science teacher. He said her family is well respected in their village and owns lots of farmlands. So, I told him I was interested,"